12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2019 9:53 AM by Ken Flerlage

* on map

Michelle Soakell-Ho

Hi,

I'm working to plot the locations of some organisations. I've followed the examples here (see links) and have everything working.

Distance Mapping with Radius Filter

Mapping Distances – An Alternate Approach | VizPainter

However, for some of the points, I'm seeing an * instead of the name of the organisation at the point. Sometimes, I see an * where I have a similar lat and long for two records with the same record type (see below). Other times I see an * where I have a similar lat and long for two records with different record types. The two record types are site and other. Is there a way to rectify this?

Untitled picture.pngUntitled picture2.png

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Michelle

• 1. Re: * on map
          Ken Flerlage

This would typically happen when that mark has more than two values for the organization. On a map, that would mean that these two organizations are plotted on the same latitude and longitude. Adding organization name to the detail card will create separate marks, but because they're plotted in the same position, one mark will be on top of another.

Another option is to keep the shared mark, but leverage viz-in-tooltip to display the multiple organizations at that location.

• 2. Re: * on map
            Michelle Soakell-Ho

Hi Ken,

Thanks for that. That lat and long aren't identical, so I'm assuming it is a combination of the level of detail and the average of the lat and long. I could add the organisation name to the detail card and jitter the points, but the distance calc fails and adding the organisation name to the table calc doesn't work? Any ideas?

Cheers,

• 3. Re: * on map
              Michael Gillespie

What if you don't use AVG() for the Lat & Long but make them Dimensions instead?

• 4. Re: * on map
                Ken Flerlage

I really think we'll need to see a workbook as there are a lot of different moving parts in this viz. Any chance you can attach the workbook? If it has private data then can you mock up a sample?

• 5. Re: * on map
                  Michelle Soakell-Ho

Hi Ken and Michael,

Thanks for that. Sure thing. I'll mock up some data tomorrow morning and attach it.

Cheers,

• 6. Re: * on map
                    Michelle Soakell-Ho

Hi all,

I've added in a workbook with simplified public data - hospitals and police stations.

Any help with the multiple sites would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

• 7. Re: * on map
                      Ken Flerlage

Looks like Site is what's causing your problem. But that's not in your level of detail, so Tableau is averaging the lat/long for those. There are two solutions to this.

1) You can ensure that you have specifically defined your level of detail by dragging Site to the detail card.

2) Instead of using AVG Lat and Long, you can change these to dimensions.

See attached.

If this resolves your question, would you please be so kind as to mark this response as the "correct answer"? This will close the thread and will cause my response to bubble up to the top of the thread, making it easier for others to find the solution to similar problems in the future. Thanks!

• 8. Re: * on map
                        Michelle Soakell-Ho

Hi Ken,

Thanks for that. I'm able to show the sites now (awesome!), but the distance calc still refers to the average lat and long. If I leave it like this, the distances are all still 0 even if I add the extra decimal places. How can I correct the distance calculation?

Cheers,

Michelle

• 9. Re: * on map
                          Ken Flerlage

In that case, let's use the first approach with the AVG Latitudes and Longitudes and adding Site to the detail card.

Now we just need to adjust our table calculations. Right-click on each of your Distance pills (On "Filters" and on the marks card) then choose "Edit Table Calculation". Change them both to calculate like this:

That should cause it to calculate the distance properly.

See attached.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: * on map
                            Michelle Soakell-Ho

Hi Ken,

Thanks for that. Adding site to the detail and updating the table calcs worked.

Cheers, Michelle

• 11. Re: * on map
                              Michelle Soakell-Ho

Hi all,

I'm on the home stretch (yippee!), but am having trouble achieving the following:

A summary map that plots the hospitals and police stations on a map of Australia. Then when I click on one of the police stations on the summary map it drills down to the second map. I'm having trouble because I'm not able to set the parameter for the second map when click on the police station on the summary map. Is there any way to achieve this?

Thanks again for helping!

Cheers,

• 12. Re: * on map
                                Ken Flerlage

Hey Michelle. I'm thinking this might be a good topic for a new thread. By posting a new thread, you'll likely get more engagement.