11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2019 4:04 AM by mortenbodaugaard.jrgensen

Tableau Licensing core based model

kbj3030

Hi All,

Just want to know about the core based license model in Tableau. If I choose it, will I get n number of creators, explorers and viewer licenses? or do we have any limitation for creator here? Request you all to confirm on this if any one has any idea. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Tableau Licensing core based model
          Mark McGhee

With the core based licensed the number of users is technically unlimited although at some point there would be practical limitations hit.  For example if an organization had say an 8core license for a standalone server it would only support so many users before the system would become bogged down.   The advantage of the core license is it comes with the "Guest" account.   This account is not available with the "Role Based License" model.  

For the "Role Based License" model, a series of keys are provided for each level.  At a minimum there must be one Creator but if an organization went for all three levels there would be a "Creator Server", "Explorer Server" and "Viewer Server" license keys and all three would be applied to Tableau Server.

To be able to get the full functionality of the Creator license from Tableau Server there would need to be at least one "Creator Server" key applied so if only a core license were applied this wouldn't be available.

There's another forum posting which is a bit lengthy but well worth the read that explains the differences.  You could in fact have both a "core" and "role based license" applied to Tableau Server at the same time but this scenario is more geared towards customers moving from core to role based license who need a little more time to transition away from the Guest account:

Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...

• 2. Re: Tableau Licensing core based model
            Gerardo Varela

Hi Mark,

So is core licensing is still available for new instances of Tableau?  So say I wanted to buy a core license tomorrow is that still available?  My understanding is that core licensing has been shifted to the new subscription model? 

Regards,

Gerardo

• 3. Re: Tableau Licensing core based model
              Mark McGhee

Hi Gerardo,

The momentum is moving towards Subscription based, in part because if a Tableau Server instance ramps up quicker than expected, a customer can soon find themselves short of cores and they may not be able to purchase right away since they're more than likely tied to a yearly budget, etc.  Under the Subscription model you can add additional hardware resources since there is no core restriction.     But to answer your question I'd say you probably have to reach out to your Account Manager to find out.   It could be a different scenario for brand new customers versus those who already had an existing core license.

• 4. Re: Tableau Licensing core based model
                Gerardo Varela

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Gerardo

• 5. Re: Tableau Licensing core based model
                  Heyward Drummond

Core Licensing is still very much a valid license model selection. There are many customers who prefer that model for various reasons. We have found ways to combine User based with Core at the same time but the Account Manager needs to discuss that with you. User based licensing is a much more flexible model for scaling your servers quickly and where many customers have decided to go. Some use Core for external users and User based for internal users. Your choice but always suggest you talk this through with your Account Manager and Sales/Solutions Consultant as we have these discussions all the time.

• 6. Re: Tableau Licensing core based model
                    mortenbodaugaard.jrgensen

If you buy core based licensing you can have unlimited number of "Explorer" types of users only.

You can also enable the Guest account.

If you need "Creator" capabilities you can activate X number of Creator Licenses side-by-side with your core license - however if you do this all Server Administrators will require a Creator license whereas if you only have the Core license a Server admin just consumes an Explorer license (of which you have an unlimited number).

Also: Re: Tableau server role based licensing vs core licensing

• 7. Re: Tableau Licensing core based model
                      Gerardo Varela

I did talk to my account manager,  he has been one of the most responsive account managers I've had so shout out to you Mr. Grass!  He did confirmed that Core licensing is still available.

Anyhow, why is this information not readily available?

Regards,

Gerardo

• 8. Re: Tableau Licensing core based model
                        Heyward Drummond

Gerardo, if you have noticed the main pages on our web sites focus on subscriptions and user based licensing. That started when we moved to help our customers get more value out of their Tableau investment. The user based model makes getting started with Tableau and expanding their infrastructure to meet demand much more easier. The core model is still available through the Tableau sales team and is meant to be used where the need for guest or non-authenticated users are required. Sometimes, there are advantages in using the core model for addressing external audiences. However, because of the "unlimited" users that can reach that core server, the price is quite a bit more than the user license. That cost difference makes the user model more attractive to a majority of our customers based on feedback. The ability to spin up another Tableau Server when needed without needing to pay Tableau for each server node is incredibly valuable and the reason our focus is on the user based model. If and when we eventually add Tableau Server auto-scaling mode in the future, this will be super apparent why the user model is best. I'm not announcing anything around auto-scaling so please don't think so. That was me dreaming and fantasizing!

Our Tableau sales teams are equipped to discuss those options and jointly decide which way to go. We want to make sure the best decision is made. If you do not know who your sales team is, please see this page: Contact Us: Tableau office contact directory Go down to the Sales section and find your country and best to call the number shown. For US based customers, the Seattle phone line is the one to use and ask them who your sales rep is. They will want your company/agency name, your name, location, phone number, possible email. They will contact the correct sales rep via email. Understand that sales reps are usually on the road a lot and may need a day to get back to you as it all depends on the schedule at the time.

Tableau always listens to customers in a big way. We are all keenly aware of feedback and strive to push for features customers ask for. I've worked for many of the top software companies over my long career and can tell you I've never seen such a customer focussed company as a whole at Tableau. That is one of the reasons I love working for Tableau. We listen and we act.

I hope that helps.

• 9. Re: Tableau Licensing core based model
                          Gerardo Varela

Hi Heyward,

Thanks for the reply.  I just find out it a bit odd that information isn't readily available anywhere. So why? Maybe I'm reading to much into it!! I tend to do that at times...   

Regards,

Gerardo

• 10. Re: Tableau Licensing core based model
                            kbj3030

Thanks for all the replies but just want to confirm that we will not get creator license when we go for core based model right? If so, do we need to buy creator license explicitly for a core based model?