3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2019 8:52 AM by Ken Flerlage

Can we create Greater/Less than symbol between values comparing one another?

Ramesh Pitchaikani

I am thinking to show different category position compared based on the each generation value as attached. Can we achieve this using Tableau?

GenerationCategory% of Spending
      MillenialsGroceries0.217
      Generation XGroceries0.253
      Baby BoomersGroceries0.272
      TraditionalistsGroceries0.304

Trying to achieve greater-lesser symbol.JPG

• 1. Re: Can we create Greater/Less than symbol between values comparing one another?
          Ken Flerlage

Does your data only have 4 generations or is it possible that there is a much larger number of options?

• 2. Re: Can we create Greater/Less than symbol between values comparing one another?
            Ramesh Pitchaikani

Hi Ken,

My dataset has only 4 generations, I wouldn't expect that to be changed often. Hence you can assume as static value not going to  change forever.

I have published my workbook in the public which you can use it for try. It is available here. Thanks!

• 3. Re: Can we create Greater/Less than symbol between values comparing one another?
              Ken Flerlage

OK, so this proved to be pretty complicated. I may be overcomplicating it, so I'll welcome other responses. To do this, we need to rank the values within each category, but I couldn't find a good solution using Rank because that solution always required me to compute the table calculation using Generation, which then wouldn't allow me to create a single value for the text. So, I did some stuff with FIXED LODs instead.

First, I created calculated fields to get the first highest, second highest, third highest, and fourth highest values within each category:

Category Max Value 1

// Get the first highest value for the category

{FIXED [Category]: MAX([% of Spending])}

Category Max Value 2

// Get the second highest value for the category

{FIXED [Category]: MAX(

IF {FIXED [Category], [Generation]: SUM([% of Spending])} < [Category Max Value 1] THEN

{FIXED [Category], [Generation]: SUM([% of Spending])}

ELSE

NULL

END

)}

Category Max Value 3

IF {FIXED [Category], [Generation]: SUM([% of Spending])} < [Category Max Value 2] THEN

ELSE

NULL

END

)}

Category Max Value 4

IF {FIXED [Category], [Generation]: SUM([% of Spending])} < [Category Max Value 3] THEN

ELSE

NULL

END

)}

Then, I compared these values to each generation's values to get the generations ranked 1, 2, 3, and 4:

Rank 1

// Generation with the highest value for the given category.

IF {FIXED [Category], [Generation]: SUM([% of Spending])} = [Category Max Value 1] THEN

[Generation]

END

Rank 2

// Generation with the second highest value for the given category.

IF {FIXED [Category], [Generation]: SUM([% of Spending])} = [Category Max Value 2] THEN

[Generation]

END

Rank 3

// Generation with the third highest value for the given category.

IF {FIXED [Category], [Generation]: SUM([% of Spending])} = [Category Max Value 3] THEN

[Generation]

END

Rank 4

// Generation with the fourth highest value for the given category.

IF {FIXED [Category], [Generation]: SUM([% of Spending])} = [Category Max Value 4] THEN

[Generation]

END

Finally, I use an LOD to collapse these four fields into a single line of text for each category:

Spending Text

// Generated text showing which generation spent more than another for a given category.

{FIXED [Category]: MAX([Rank 1])} + " > " + {FIXED [Category]: MAX([Rank 2])} + " > " + {FIXED [Category]: MAX([Rank 3])} + " > " + {FIXED [Category]: MAX([Rank 4])}

One problem with this solution is that ties could create some poor results. I don't have a solution for that, unfortunately.