3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2019 10:13 AM by Don Wise

Combining zipcode data and link it to neigbourhood data

Marc Konings

Brand new to the world of data analytics, I'm learning with the Airbnb dataset downloaded from the Tableau website. I have data (measures) with average price and number of reviews. I also have data of about different neigbourhoods and data per zipcode in NYC. I want clustered zipcode data to be analysed and visualised per neigbourhood. Now my map of NYC shows a lot of different areas because it's based on the zipcode. I want those areas to be the neighboorhouds, and the visualised data to be of the combined data per zipcode.

Is this possible, and if so, can anyone help me discovering this?

• 1. Re: Combining zipcode data and link it to neigbourhood data
          Don Wise

Hi Marc,

Welcome to the forums.  Generally we like to see what work you've done already through attaching a .twbx (not .twb) packaged workbook in order to help you along. 

Packaged Workbooks - When, How, Why

https://community.tableau.com/docs/DOC-8982

Attaching a Packaged Workbook

https://community.tableau.com/docs/DOC-5743

Tableau Forum Guidelines

https://community.tableau.com/docs/DOC-8454

I found some Airbnb data from their website (Get the Data - Inside Airbnb. Adding data to the debate. ) which they break out by city.  I downloaded the NYC set for both Listings (detail) and Neighborhoods.  Both Listings.csv and Neighborhood.csv were joined simply on Neighborhood name.  Tableau did that automatically as an INNER join when I brought in the second set of .csv data to the data pane window.  Tableau will do that automatically if it finds similar fields (columns) upon which to join.  Regardless, you should always look at it to ensure that it's appropriate to what you're trying to do.  Please see below screenshots.  Hope it helps.  If it does, please mark the response as correct to close the thread and so that others may find it useful in the future.  Best, Don

Screenshot of INNER join:

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 7.42.40 AM.png

Thereafter I created a simple map colored first by neighborhood; note where the pills are placed and which pills are which:

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 7.42.49 AM.png

Thereafter a second map, simply by right-clicking the tab of the 1st map and then selecting duplicate to get another of the first one. However, added an LOD calculation (which is probably overkill for what you're initially trying to do).  However, noticed that if using neighborhood, for example Chelsea neighborhood spans 4 zip codes, so you might want that calculation to help make that distinction. 

Average Price by Zip

{FIXED [Zipcode] : AVG([Price])}

The calculation tells Tableau to focus solely on Zipcode and no other Dimension and thereafter, Average the Airbnb Price.  Bring that to the Marks Card and set it to color.  Click on Color to edit colors and I selected Temperature Diverging.  You'll get a map that looks similar to the following.  What's the concern here?  One zip code in particular which is the smallest zip out of all is also the highest.  So colors are skewed as a result.  You can right-click and exclude that data point for further analysis.

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 7.42.59 AM.png

Doing so, you'll get a more colorful map which looks similar to the following:

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 7.43.27 AM.png

However, Pay close attention to neighborhood Bedford-Stuyvesant for example.  If you were to add Neighborhood to the previous Level of Detail (LOD) calculation, then that changes things:

{FIXED [Zipcode], [Neighborhood] : AVG([Price])}

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 8.03.06 AM.png

That neighborhood average is highest (even if you were to add back in the excluded zip code).  A bit more helpful with your analysis.  Hope it helps and again if it does, close the thread by marking as correct.  Best, Don

• 2. Re: Combining zipcode data and link it to neigbourhood data
            Marc Konings

Thank you for your detailed answer, Don! Extremely helpful. This is gonna keep me busy this evening

• 3. Re: Combining zipcode data and link it to neigbourhood data
              Don Wise

Hi Marc,

Could you mark my response as correct in the Forums? Not from your email. Glad to have helped! Best, Don