1 2 3 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2019 4:40 AM by tharashasank.davuluru.4 Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
      • 30. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
        Matt Coles

Anitha p, sure. There are various ways of doing this. The method I use for the alert I mentioned in this post is dead simple. I use the TS Content data source, filter it down to the critical workbooks / data sources I want to monitor, then create a calc against the Extracts Refreshed At and Extracts Incremented At fields that tells me how long, in minutes, it has been since the extracts were refreshed. I then set a filter on that new field such that if it's been longer than 120 minutes, the data shows up, and thus the alert goes off. It works for monitoring a discrete set of content that all runs on the same schedule (in our case, we want all that data refreshed every half hour or so, but setting it to 120 minutes works to isolate alerts to "real" problems rather than hiccups).

There's another bit of logic in the custom Extract Failure Alert email I use that suppresses extra alerts that aren't really necessary, when you run extracts as frequently as we do. We have intermittent failures from time that pop up, and there's not much we can always do about them. So I set up an LOD calc in the data that suppresses alerts for any extract that failed, if it's on a frequently-running schedule, and it has been successfully refreshed within the last 120 minutes. That way, a single failure in the middle of a bunch of successes won't trigger the alert and spam everyone, but should it fail again, we'll then start getting the emails.

• 31. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
          Vuk Vulovic

Hi Matt,

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but did you somehow manage to create "Welcome Email for New Tableau Users"?

Thanks in advance,

Vuk

• 32. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
            Matt Coles

We never got around to that one. Mainly because everyone gets access to our Server when they start work at Tableau, and we felt that sending someone a welcome email right when they are onboarded would just contribute to the information overload they'd already be subjected to.

• 33. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
              Vuk Vulovic

I see.

Any hints/ideas on how can this be achieved?

• 34. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                Matt Coles

Yes. In the Tableau Server postgreSQL repository database, you could use the created_at field in the users table to identify when someone was added to the Server, then set your relative date on that field for "yesterday". Join to system_users to get the email address for the user. Then just use the Advanced Alert fields to describe what you want to send to them.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 35. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                  Vuk Vulovic

Excellent, thanks a lot, much appreciated!

• 36. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                    Arthur Tsao

Hi Matt,

I've been tasked to add a welcome email for new users. We have a workbook that has names of people who are new users, and we want to send them some welcome info.

To clarify, is the email triggered as an alert email?

Thanks,

Arthur

• 37. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                      Toby Erkson

It's not a Tableau supported Data Alert if that's what you mean.

• 38. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                        Arthur Tsao

So if I have a list of 3 people who have fit the criteria (in a table on Tableau) of who I want to send an automated email to…what is the best way of doing so?

• 39. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                          Jonathan Drummey

Hi Arthur,

Assuming you have a data source with email address & the date the user was added:

If you're using VizAlerts then you can build an advanced alert trigger view that has one row (mark) per recipient with the Email Subject & Body customized for each. That advanced alert view would have a filter that would work in conjunction with the alert subscription interval. For example I might schedule the alert to run at 1am each day and then set up the filter to filter for [date added] = TODAY()-1 so it picks up all users added yesterday. VizAlerts will then run at 1am each day, find the subscription, download the advanced alert, and if there are any users added the prior day it will use the information to generate the alert.

This next version requires a data source with username and date the user was added, and all new users being part of a particular user group:

It's also possible to get a similar effect (without all the custom formatting available in VizAlerts) with conditional subscriptions. Set up a Tableau view that displays the text, images, etc. that you want and add a user filter on [username] = USERNAME() and add a date filter like the one above above. Then set up a conditional subscription that is subscribed on something like a 1am schedule to the group. Tableau will then check the subscription each night and if any of the subscribed users meet the criteria then they will get the email.

Jonathan

• 40. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                            Toby Erkson

Tharashasank,

It's not that the specific alert you mention is something built-in to VA, it's what someone wants.  Yes, it can be done using VA and using the Tableau db repository but it's something someone would need to build.

1 2 3 Previous Next