11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2019 10:21 AM by Mark Jewett

Web Data Connector browser issues

Xevi Pujol

A web data connector that we have had for some time has now suddenly broken after the latest Tableau version update.

Our WDC involves a SSO login with google, and it seems like the current version of the WDC browser is not compatible with Google's login page. As you can see in the screenshot attached, the interface is broken and users can't advance past this screen.

I'm very surprised that this is not working, because Google's login page is perfectly compatible with all browsers in the market and follows the latest web standards.

Does anyone have a workaround for this issue?

Or does anyone know if Tableau plans to update the engine running their internal browser to a more standard one?

Thanks.

Screenshot 2019-04-11 at 10.15.48.png

• 1. Re: Web Data Connector browser issues
          Daniel Stanish

Good day Xevi.

Is the web data connector something that was developed "in house". If so, any chance you can post the web data connector? If not, do you know what version of the SDK it is using? Tableau updated the SDK for WebData Connectors a few versions ago.

If it's from a vendor, have you checked with them to see if there is an updated version?

Best regards,

-Dan

• 2. Re: Web Data Connector browser issues
            Keshia Rose

Hi Xevi,

This might be a part of a bug we have uncovered. Could you please try running Desktop with the WDC_QtWebEnginePort feature flag turned on and see if this fixes your issue?

1. Open a Terminal window (Applications > Utilities > Terminal ).

2. Type in the command below and press Enter to launch Tableau with the feature flag settings:

open -a /Applications/Tableau.app  --args -DOverride=WDC_QtWebEnginePort

Take care,

Keshia

Internal: 890283

• 3. Re: Web Data Connector browser issues
              Xevi Pujol

Hi Keshia,

The issue is fixed when I run Tableau Desktop with the WDC_QtWebEnginePort feature flag turned on.

What does this exactly mean? How can we proceed so that all our customers benefit from this bugfix?

Best,

Xevi

• 4. Re: Web Data Connector browser issues
                Keshia Rose

Hi Xevi,

We are currently working on an in-product fix but a solution has not yet been found. The issue has occurred because of an upgrade in the browser used in Desktop from Qt Webkit 5.7 to Qt Webkit 5.10 and is only occurring on Macs. The WDC_QtWebEnginePort flag is a beta feature flag for a Qt WebEngine 5.10 upgrade that will likely occur in 2019.3. This is the only workaround as of now. Can you tell me, is this a custom WDC you are using internally or something you have built for external customers? Or is this a publically available WDC? How many people is this affecting? I'm going to add this thread to the bug and would like to have as many details as possible. I will also update you here when a fix is found.

Take care,

Keshia

• 5. Re: Web Data Connector browser issues
                  Xevi Pujol

Hi Keshia,

Our custom WDC is something we have built for our customers, and is currently affecting many of them.

The URL https://tableauwdc1.userzoom.com . Unfortunately I cannot give you credentials to access it, but you can see how the Sign in form is not working correctly under Tableau 19.1 in Mac.

Regards,

Xevi

• 6. Re: Web Data Connector browser issues
                    Jhonnatan Gonzalez

Hi Keshia,

I am having the same issue and i believe the workaround of

open -a /Applications/Tableau.app  --args -DOverride=WDC_QtWebEnginePort

should work for me as well but this command is for Mac terminal not windows CMD. I am running a Mac machine with only Windows OS on it. Curious as to how this command should be rephrased for windows?

Thank you

• 7. Re: Web Data Connector browser issues
                      Keshia Rose

Hi Jhonnatan,

Here is the PC command:

[path-to-tableau]\tableau.exe -DOverride=WDC_QtWebEnginePort

You can also configure feature flag overrides using the Windows Registry:

1. Open the Windows Registry Editor.
                      2. Navigate to Computer -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Tableau -> Tableau <Version>
                      3. Add a Debug key if one does not exist.
                      4. Add the string value FeatureOverrideOn to the Debug key
                      5. In the Value data field, add WDC_QtWebEnginePort

Important: Always make a back up of the registry file before making any changes to it. Editing the Windows registry incorrectly can have harmful effects on your computer.

For others reference, on Mac, you can configure feature flag overrides using Property List files by running the following command:

defaults write com.tableau.Tableau-<Version>.plist Debug.FeatureOverrideOn "WDC_QtWebEnginePort"

Take care,

Keshia

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Web Data Connector browser issues
                        Mark Jewett

Thank you Keshia - the registry update worked for me on a PC (Tableau 2019.2) to connect to the Spotify WDC (https://spotify-wdc.herokuapp.com/)

Really appreciate it.

Regards, MJ

• 9. Re: Web Data Connector browser issues
                          Mark Jewett

Looks like I spoke a little too soon.  Once I log in and pick last 6 months of data for Spotify, I get an error.  I know I'm entering the correct password.

• 10. Re: Web Data Connector browser issues
                            Keshia Rose

Hey Mark,

Did you use the facebook login or user/pass? I was able to connect and get data using the facebook login, perhaps it depends on the auth method you use?

Take care,

Keshia

• 11. Re: Web Data Connector browser issues
                              Mark Jewett

Did not use Facebook - used user/pass.