1 11 12 13 14 15 Previous Next 217 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2019 2:24 AM by Theo W Go to original post
      • 210. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
        Ian Tkach

Hi Kent,

I know this post is over a year old, but I had a question about your response to mark cameron on the subject of heatmaps (March 1, 2017... I believe it was page 3 of this thread?).  Can you go into a bit more detail on how you used QGIS to generate the polygons/lines?

• 211. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
          anastasia aourik

Hello Kent,

I'm an ESRI developer and would like to see what's the latest capabilities of TABLEAU (Maps) using ESRI shape files.  I saw a link that said use QGIS on ESRI shape files ONLY POINTS FEATURE CLASS and POLYGON feature class is supported. Any news on LINE FEATURECLASS.

Also, I usually take my GIS data and load it to enterprise geodatabase (esri) that is SDE (used to be called ARCSDE).

So I am wondering if the TABLEAU "LOAD TO MAP" functionality supports connecting to ESRI ENTERPRISE GEODATABASE (SQL SERVER or ORACLE) and be able to render the features on tableau map.

That, coupled with the analytics that we can have using std tableau analytics would be very powerful.

• 212. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
            YASIN CAN PARLAK

Hi Kent,

I would like to know if I could add background images to my map which is created with shapefile (*.shp) ?

When I try to do so, I can creat my polyline with .shp and show it on the map but can not show background image. I am wondering If I could do that.

By the way, at very first I have tried to convert autocad file (*.dwg) to .shp file and some of the files were converted correctly (Polyline.shp and not Polygon.shp), so I have tried to use the Polyline.shp to draw a map. Thank you for help!

Note: I can not share any file because of confidential issues.

Best regards,

Yasin.

• 213. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
              Joel Yow

Hi Kent,

I'm getting this error notification when appending a GeoJSON Linestring data extract to a GeoJSON Multipolygon data extract - 

"Unable to complete action

The spatial operation resulted in a MixedGeometry or MixedGeography, which Tableau does not support yet.

The spatial operation resulted in a MixedGeometry or MixedGeography, which Tableau does not support yet."

Is there a timeline for this added functionality? I'm creating my own GeoJSON files and the ability to union them without the redundancy of a join would be immensely helpful.

thanks in advance!

joel

• 214. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                Michael Lindner

Hi Kent/Tableau comm,

My question might be a very simple one but I am trying to build a global heat map based on honey supply data (2016) in tons. How would I go about doing this? My data is literally 2 columns - 1 for the country name, 1 for total tons

thank you!

• 215. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                  Sarah Battersby

Michael Lindner - if you just need a map of the honey supply by country, you can use the country name to link to the Tableau geocoding polygons and then drop your measure for total tons of honey on color.  That will build up a basic choropleth or filled symbol map to show distribution of honey supply. 

Depending on the name of the dimension with country name, you may need to make sure that it is set up to geocode - just right click, select Geographic Role -> Country

-Sarah.

Tableau Research

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 216. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                    jon syu

?
                    "[laek[ ptv9i Kent,

This is an open question on maps that i've wanted to know.  How would the join calculation for geocoding IPv6 addresses go using this method:

https://kb.tableau.com/articles/howto/mapping-ip-address-geocode-data

I think I have the logic down, but I'm new to tableau and databases in general,so I don't know what's possible or the syntax.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks!

• 217. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                      Mike Fliss

Older thread, but long, so perhaps still active?

I see from here (Create Tableau Maps from Spatial Files - Tableau ) that mixed types (supported as geometrycollections in simple features, geojson, etc.) aren't currently supported in Tableau. Here's the use case - I have environmental exposures of many types - points, lines and polygons. Each has the same underlying fields. I can build the geojson in R with the (fantastic) sf package, export successfully into geojson, but I get an error on import to Tableau.

Any future where this support might happen? I think it's likely this functionality limitation may mean we can't build an important web-app in Tableau, even though it may otherwise be preferred. Thoughts?

Best,

mike

• 218. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                        Kent Marten

Hi Mike,

Yes, it is possible we could address this limitation in the future, but it is not on our near-term roadmap.

Thanks for the feedback.

Best,
                        Kent M.

• 219. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                          Theo W

Hello,

I have successfully plotted lines between cities with a KML file. Some cities have several lines departing from them. It's similar to a network map. I would like to have a label with the origin city and a destination city. What would be the best solution for this ? 

When I generated the KML, my original data had:

Origin Name, Origin Coordinates, Destination Name, Destination Coordinates

An example of the KML file:

<Placemark><name>DUS/FLR</name><LineString><coordinates>11.2051,43.810001 6.7667799999999998,51.289501000000001</coordinates></LineString></Placemark>

Thanks a lot !

1 11 12 13 14 15 Previous Next