1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2019 5:49 PM by Ken Flerlage

Sankey Diagram with 3 different buckets?

Thiraj Silva

Hi Team,

I have a leads management database where we generate leads and convert it to proposals. There are three stages during the process. I want to create a real-time graph (something like a Sankey Diagram) to show the stages and the count of the leads and proposals which have been converted. The following diagram is just an illustration on Paint to give an idea of what i am looking for.

As shown in the above diagram, i want to be able to create a diagram like that. Is this possible?

Also, at each stage there will be an IF condition to determine to which bucket the line should follow. (Example: From Quotation to Proposal, the IF condition can be "IF PROPOSAL HAS A QUOTATION THEN IT WILL FALL IN THE 60% ELSE IT WILL FALL IN THE UNCONVERTED BUCKET)...

Sorry about this being very messy.

All help is appreciated.

Thank you!!

• 1. Re: Sankey Diagram with 3 different buckets?
          Ken Flerlage

This is definitely possible. Here's something I just did (I'll be posting a reusable template soon). Is this what you're looking for?

If so, can you provide some sample data for us to work with?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sankey Diagram with 3 different buckets?
            Thiraj Silva

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your reply. The diagram you sent is exactly what i am looking for.

I have attached a very simple sample data set which contains 5 columns and 15 rows. These columns can be used for the IF condition to decide which bucket the lines should be pointing to.

IF CONDITIONS:

- If "Proposal ID" is NOT NULL, then it will be a green line from quote to proposal box, else red line from quote to Unconverted

- If "Submit Status" is NOT NULL, then it will be a green line from proposal to "submitted to core" box, else red line

- If "Dispatched Date" is NOT NULL, then it will be a green line from "submitted to core" box to "core", else red line

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you for your help!

• 3. Re: Sankey Diagram with 3 different buckets?
              Sebastian Sofariu

Hi Thiraj,

Additionally, I will include the Community examples below.

Decision trees, flow diagrams, sankeys in Tableau... here is a solution !!!

http://community.tableau.com/thread/154623

Sankey diagram made of dynamically generated polygons

https://community.tableau.com/thread/152115

I hope this help.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Sankey Diagram with 3 different buckets?
                Thiraj Silva

Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for sharing this valuable information and amazing work! I had a look at it and tried a few different things to try and replicate what has been done but i am not getting it. If you can have a look at the excel i have attached and let me know how to go about it using that particular data set, it would be a big help.

Thank You,

Appreciate your time and help!

• 5. Re: Sankey Diagram with 3 different buckets?
                  Ken Flerlage

Sorry for the delay. I have a sankey template on my website which makes these relatively easy to create. I'd suggest that you start by reading the blog so you understand the basics of what's being done: https://www.kenflerlage.com/2018/04/sankey-template.html

I will soon be publishing a part 2 that includes a few other types of sankeys including multi-level sankeys. And I have one variation of it that allows you to trace an item through. The process for building this sankey is similar to the blog, but the Excel template is a bit different. I took your data and restructured it so it would fit into the template. It looks like the following (it's also attached):

I then plugged this into my template which can be found here: Tableau Public

The template has five "steps" so, on the dashboard, you'd need to remove the two sheets all the way to the right.

Then you need to populate the Select ID parameter from the ID field above. Once that's done, you'll be able to highlight that quote in red. Here's the end result.

I've attached the Excel spreadsheet and the workbook.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Sankey Diagram with 3 different buckets?
                    Thiraj Silva

Hi Ken,

Thank you so much for this explanation. This is exactly what i was looking for. I'm looking forward for part 2. Please do keep me updated.

Also i downloaded the excel and the tableau workbook. When i tried opening the tableau workbook i get an error.

"

Unable to complete action

Errors occurred while trying to load the workbook "Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twbx". The load was not able to complete successfully.

Error(2951,66): no declaration found for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(2951,66): attribute 'uuid' is not declared for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(2952,17): element 'simple-id' is not allowed for content model '(((layout-options?)|(repository-location?)),table)' (id: C:\Users\raceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(3113,66): no declaration found for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(3113,66): attribute 'uuid' is not declared for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(3114,17): element 'simple-id' is not allowed for content model '(((layout-options?)|(repository-location?)),table)' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(3272,66): no declaration found for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(3272,66): attribute 'uuid' is not declared for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(3273,17): element 'simple-id' is not allowed for content model '(((layout-options?)|(repository-location?)),table)' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(3431,66): no declaration found for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\raceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(3431,66): attribute 'uuid' is not declared for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(3432,17): element 'simple-id' is not allowed for content model '(((layout-options?)|(repository-location?)),table)' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(3743,66): no declaration found for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\raceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(3743,66): attribute 'uuid' is not declared for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(3744,17): element 'simple-id' is not allowed for content model '(((layout-options?)|(repository-location?)),table)' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(4049,66): no declaration found for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(4049,66): attribute 'uuid' is not declared for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(4050,17): element 'simple-id' is not allowed for content model '(((layout-options?)|(repository-location?)),table)' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(4356,66): no declaration found for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(4356,66): attribute 'uuid' is not declared for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(4357,17): element 'simple-id' is not allowed for content model '(((layout-options?)|(repository-location?)),table)' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(4557,66): no declaration found for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(4557,66): attribute 'uuid' is not declared for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

Error(4558,17): element 'simple-id' is not allowed for content model '(((layout-options?)|(repository-location?)),style,size?,datasources,datasource-dependencies*,zones,devicelayouts)' (id: C:\Users\Traceable Multi-Level Sankey Template.twb)

"

How can i get this sorted?

Thank you for the help.

• 7. Re: Sankey Diagram with 3 different buckets?
                      Ken Flerlage

Strange. Opens okay for me. What version of Tableau are you using?

• 8. Re: Sankey Diagram with 3 different buckets?
                        Ken Flerlage

I've saved in an older version. Perhaps you'll be able to open this one.

• 9. Re: Sankey Diagram with 3 different buckets?
                          Thiraj Silva

Hi Ken,

I was running on an older version of Tableau. I got it updated and it works now.

So I did open the Tableau Workbook and I can see all the calculated fields which have been created. I tried to follow the step by step process given in the link: Sankey diagram made of dynamically generated polygons But i was unable to replicate it. If it's not too much to ask for, do you think you will be able to help me regarding what fields to be placed where in order to get the sankey diagram working?

Also is it possible to add the Percentage or each bucket?

Thank you so much and sorry for the trouble.. I am very new to Sankey diagrams so trying hard to understand it.

• 10. Re: Sankey Diagram with 3 different buckets?
                            Ken Flerlage

I'm happy to help. Can you provide a sample workbook?

• 11. Re: Sankey Diagram with 3 different buckets?
                              Thiraj Silva

Hi Ken,

Can we use the same workbook which you have attached? I think it will be easier since everything is created.All i am looking for is the steps to create the Sankey Daigram (What dimensions should we put to Rows and Columns and what fields go where).

Thank You!

• 13. Re: Sankey Diagram with 3 different buckets?
                                swaroop.gantela

Ken Flerlage

Just wanted to re-iterate that your Sankey Templates are sheer brilliance,

look fantastic, and are super simple to implement and adapt.

Thank you very much for them,

and for all you do for the community!

• 14. Re: Sankey Diagram with 3 different buckets?
                                  Ken Flerlage

Thank you Swaroop. I have to give all the credit to Jeffrey Shaffer and Olivier Catherin though. They did all the hard work. I just made it a bit easier to plug in your own data

1 2 Previous Next