2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2019 3:38 AM by manoj khadke

Tableau Server 2018.3 Upgrade issue

manoj khadke

Hello,

Recently I tried testing the upgrade from Tableau Server 10.0 to Tableau Server 2018.3.

I have uninstalled Tableau Server 10.0 via Control Panel.

The failure occurs while executing the "upgrade-tsm" script.

Error In the Command Prompt:

The error I received in the command prompt while executing the upgrade script is attached with this post.

Error says "Could not load existing application.properties of agent".

Error in the log file 'app-upgrade':

ERROR com.tableausoftware.installer.PreTsmUpgrader - Failed to construct dependencies with the latest configuration.

java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not load an existing application.properties of agent.

Please guide me through resolving this issue.

Am I missing any steps or configurations or pre upgrade steps?

Appreciate your assistance on this.

• 1. Re: Tableau Server 2018.3 Upgrade issue
          Donna Coles

HI Manoj

We're in the process of 'upgrading' from v10.1.1 to v 2018.3.3, but rather than attempting a proper upgrade, we've created a brand new instance of a v2018.3.3 server which we'll migrate the v10 content onto.

This decision was made following a lot of discussions I'd seen on the forms about upgrading to a version that contained the new TSM application (ie v2018.2 onwards).

I don't know what your specific issue is, but suggest you have a read of the following thread Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4  - it's lengthy and detailed but highlights the 'upgrade' from a pre TSM server to post TSM is not the smoothest.

Other reading that may help

Troubleshoot Tableau Server Install and Upgrade - Tableau

Regards

Donna

• 2. Re: Tableau Server 2018.3 Upgrade issue
            manoj khadke

Hello Donna,

Thank you very much for the details!

Deleting environment variables and performing the steps again helped me get rid of the issue but there is more .

Below I will add more to my previous details about the issue so that the picture would be clear.

I was on version 10.0 and then tried upgrade for 2018.3 but it failed with error "

ERROR com.tableausoftware.installer.InstallerMain - Generic exception raised during installation.

com.tableau.crypto.exception.UnencryptedSecretException@6e21b6f8[property=tabadminservice.password]".

Later I uninstalled Tableau Server 2018.3 and deleted the folders that were created and tried re-installation of the version 2018.3 and that's when the above mentioned error "

ERROR com.tableausoftware.installer.PreTsmUpgrader - Failed to construct dependencies with the latest configuration.

java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not load an existing application.properties of agent." occurred.

Note: I'm testing this using a trial license.

I'm aware that major upgrades don't happen using trial licenses, but is the error I'm getting due to this or is it something else?

Hope I was able to explain the issue and scenario further.

Looking forward for you response .