2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2019 2:12 AM by Matt Scott

Copyright over data

Matt Scott

Hello,

Being new to the Tableau community I'm very excited about the possibilities for using its tools to display my data in beautiful and accessible ways. In the first instance I'm planning to use Tableau Public for my website.

I'm just very keen to understand first what the Ownership clause under Section 4 of the Ts & Cs actually means in practice. If I upload the data I have collated over the past 10 years to the Tableau software, am I inadvertently conferring all rights to those data to Tableau? Naturally these are very valuable to me so I'm keen to get a true understanding of what the following means:

"Tableau and its licensors have and will retain all rights, title and interest... in and to the Public Software provided by Tableau and all copies, modifications and derivative works thereof."

Do users' data presentations become "derivative works" of the Tableau software and therefore the intellectual property of Tableau? The above quote is taken from the Ts & Cs clause below (italics mine).

4.   Ownership. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, except for the limited license rights expressly provided herein, Tableau and its licensors have and will retain all rights, title and interest (including, without limitation, all patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret and other intellectual property rights) in and to the Public Software provided by Tableau and all copies, modifications and derivative works thereof (including any changes which incorporate any of your ideas, feedback or suggestions). You acknowledge that you are obtaining only a limited license right to the Public Software provided by Tableau and that no ownership rights are being conveyed to you under this Agreement or otherwise.

Many thanks for your assistance with clarifying this for me!

Matt

• 1. Re: Copyright over data
          Rodrigo Calloni

Hi Matt

Welcome to the Tableau and its Community! I hope you to have a great time using this amazing tool.

Regarding your concerns, I am no layer nor I work for Tableau so it is hard to give a 100% sure answer on the terms. From my understanding on the Ownership item you added I only see there the ownership of Tableau Public software (not the data) belonging to Tableau.

Personally I use Tableau Public as any social media site you may use around. I am only able to add data/text/pictures/videos because the tool was made available for me by the owners. But I can go and wipe all my data off from those sites if I want. Same applies to Tableau Public IMO.

Ciaran Crean may be able to help you as she works for Tableau and coordinates the Forums too.

I hope this helps

Rodrigo

• 2. Re: Copyright over data
            Matt Scott

Brilliant, thank you Rodrigo for taking the time to respond to my query. I’m very grateful.

Matt