2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2019 5:39 PM by Peter Fakan

Ticket Backlog Tracking

Eric Kriebel

I'm trying to create a workbook that will display 3 measures (#Created, #Worked, #Open) by week. Our ticket data includes Created date/time and Worked date/time. I believe this should be enough information to display ticket activity by week for the 12 months. The challenge appears to be in assigning dates to each ticket.

For example, if a ticket is created in Week #1 and remains open for Weeks #1 through #3, does there need to be a separate entry for Week #1, #2, and #3 to be displayed correctly?

I'm attaching a Tableau workbook (TWBX) file with sample Excel data. I'd prefer to accomplish this without using Custom SQL, but if that's the only way to do it, I'll give it a shot. Eventually, the ticket data will be extracted from our ERP database on a daily basis.

The image below shows the basic 2-week example of data we have and the view we'd like to see. Thanks in advance for your review and suggestions!

• 1. Re: Ticket Backlog Tracking
          swaroop.gantela

Eric,

Depending the size of your data, this may be performance prohibitive,

but I think you could try joining against a single-columned table of all possible weeks of interest,

as far into the future as you would like, and then use the cross-join method described here:

CROSS JOIN with Tableau's join dialog

• 2. Re: Ticket Backlog Tracking
            Peter Fakan

Hi Eric,

I've put together a starting framework for you to develop your requirements.

The first 2 vizzes are exploring the difference between 'Worked' and 'Open'. I presumed that 'Worked' meant closed jobs ? I would probably rearranged the vizzes if this is not the case.

In the 3rd viz, I have created a gantt duration chart to show the halflife of each ticket, again I presumed that this was simply the duration of the ticket from Open to Closed.

In all 3 vizzes, the only calculated field that is running behind the scenes is a calculation to find the duration between the created and worked date;

HTH 10.5 attached

Peter