1 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next 130 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2019 3:27 AM by abdul kareem Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
      • 120. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
        Christine Sesti

Upgrade to Test went smooth with no issues.  Here are steps taken.

PRE-INSTALL

1) Download Tableau 2018.3.X from Tableau Site

2) On Tableau Server 10.5:

-  Backup Tableau Server on 10.5 by going to c:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\10.5\bin and running the below command.   Once completed, the backup will be saved in the same bin directory, make sure to copy this file to a safe location!!!  

tabadmin backup <backupName> -v

-  SSL Certs:  Copy your SSL certs from c:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\SSL to a safe location.

-  Open Tableau Server Configuration and take screenshots of settings for each tab.

-  In Tableau, take note on the # of Sites (Workbooks, Views, Datasources), Users, Groups, etc.

If using existing server to upgrade:

-  Stop Tableau Server 10.5

(go to c:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\10.5\bin)

tabadmin stop

-  Go to Services and verify the following have stopped:

* Tableau Server Application Manager

* Tableau Server License Manager

-  Now uninstall Tableau Server by going to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall         * Tableau Server 10.5

-  After uninstall, reboot the server.

-  Go back to Services and verify Tableau Services no longer exists

-  Delete Tableau Server folders if they still exists under C:\Program Files & C:\ProgramData.

-  Environment Variables - Go to System Variable "Path" and Delete reference(s) to Tableau Server 10.5

-  Delete c:\windows\Temp directory

If using a new Server for the install:

-  Either create a new local account or Add Service Account as local admin

INSTALL & UPGRADE - Make sure Pre-Install steps are completed first before installing/Upgrading.

1)  Login with Service account that you want to install Tableau Server with.

2)  Install Tableau 2018.3.3 (TableauServer-64bit-2018-3-3.exe)

3)  After it installs, you are prompted to enter your credentials in TSM (Tableau Services Manager).  Log in with the account you logged in, this will start initialization process.   If it's a Local account you can log in as .\ServiceAccount or machineName\ServiceAccount

-  Activate (initialize) License Key

-  Specify Provision of Users:  Local  or Active Directory

-  Set Service Account:   .\adminTableauService

-  Default Port:  80

-  Create Tableau Server Administration account:  adminTableau

4)  Now Restore from Backup (using your 10.5 backup):

-   Place the Tableau 10.5 Backup file in the C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\files\backups\ directory

-   In CLI, run the following command (cmd prompt as Administrator):

*  tsm stop    (stops TS)

* tsm maintenance restore --file <file_name>

You should receive a successful restore message, once successful restart TSM

*  tsm start

5)  SSL Certs:  Log back into TSM (https://<Name>:8850) and go to Configuration - Security- External SSL to upload SSL Cert and Key files. Click Reset button then restart Tableau Server.

POST INSTALL

1) Verify Tableau Services have started.

* Tableau Server Administration Agent

* Tableau Server Administration Controller

* Tableau Server Client File Service

* Tableau Server Coordination Service (Ensemble 1)

* Tableau Server License Manager

* Tableau Server Service Manager

2)  ODBC Connections:

- If you upgraded from existing server, verify and Test ODBC Connection(s).

- If new server, download, reinstall & configure required ODBC drivers for new server.

3)  Login to Tableau  (https://<Name>)

- Verify the # of Sites (Workbooks, Views, Datasources), Users, Groups, etc. that you captured before upgrade.

-  Create and delete a user(s)

-  Create and/or Publish Reports

-  Have Power users test and Publish reports

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • 121. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
          Mark Wu

Appreciated Christine Sesti's detailed upgrade run book. The only thing that I want to add is for those who have done any configurations or customizations (like change revision history default, extract timeout default, etc). We will need one extra step in Pre-upgrade to get those custom values and then add one extra step in post upgrade to re-apply those value in TSM.

Examples of customization scripts :

@ECHO OFF

REM Script and associated folder path

SET ScriptFolder="D:\Application\Tableau\Scripts"

REM  Turn on echoing to show what's being changed

@ECHO ON

REM Log on to server TSM

call tsm login --username xxx--password xxx

REM Configuration settings...

ECHO Disable suspension of failing background tasks but still have emails sent.

call tsm configuration set --key backgrounder.failure_threshold_for_run_prevention --value -1

ECHO Seconds beyond the query limit before a task is canceled, in seconds (900 seconds = 15 minutes).

call tsm configuration set --key backgrounder.extra_timeout_in_seconds --value 900

ECHO From Mark Wu, item #5, http://enterprisetableau.com/how-to-reduce-tableau-extract-waiting-time-50/.

call tsm configuration set --key backgrounder.sort_jobs_by_run_time_history_observable_hours --value 36

REM Customize settings...

ECHO Set the server name in tooltips and messages.

call tsm customize --server-name ”xxx"

ECHO Change the sign-in header logo image, large up to 160 x 160 px.

call tsm customize --logo %xxx.png

REM File copying...

ECHO Copy images for custom Project displays.

COPY /Y %ScriptFolder%"\xxxs\*.jpg" "D:xxxx"

REM More examples....

call tsm configuration set -k features.DesktopReporting -v true

call tsm configuration set -k vizqlserver.session.expiry.timeout -v xx

call tsm configuration set -k wgserver.saml.iframed_idp.enabled -v true

call tsm configuration set -k wgserver.trusted_hosts -v "ip address 1, ip address 2,..."

call tsm configuration set -k native_api.memory_limit_enabled -v true -frc

call tsm configuration set -k native_api.memory_limit_per_process_gb -v xx -frc

call tsm configuration set -k vizqlserver.data_refresh -v  xxxx

call tsm configuration set -k backgrounder.querylimit -v xxxx (seconds)

REM Apply changes...

ECHO Applying changes to the server, please wait... (Time is: %TIME%)

call tsm pending-changes apply --ignore-prompt

ECHO Logging out...

call tsm logout

ECHO Done!

• 122. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
            diddle doo

No , I am neither able to do an upgrade from 10.5.11 to 2019.1.1 nor do a new installation of 2019.1.1/2018.*

• 123. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
              Jeffrey Lutomski

I would say the easiest thing I found to do when I was in your shoes going from 10.5 to 2018.2.x or 2018.3.3 was:

-make sure I have a few Tableau application backups

-make sure I have a few configuration file exports.

-obliterate script found in one of the packages folders and then run a clean install of 2018.x or 2019.X

**** Warning this will blow away all data and installs and directories on the server, so its' not an in place upgrade .

-Then you have to run restore from backup and possibly restore the configuration.

-Note if the configuration restore fails, you might have to manual set and redo a lot of config.

• 124. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
                Aravindram Ragupathy

Dear All,

Iam trying to upgrade Single Node Tableau Server from 2018.1 to 2018.3.4

Step 1: I have sucessfully uninstalled the older version 2018.1. Backfile has been generated during this period.

Step2: Started installing tableau Server 2018.3.4

Step 3: During Automatic Launch Upgrade Screen, getting the following error message

Error: Tableau Server environment variables not set. You must run this script from an existing Tableau Server Node.

Please let me know the values which needs to be set?

Regards,

Aravind

• 125. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
                  Bryan Fernandez

Hi Aravind,

I think you did the wrong step.

You've already uninstalled the old tableau server version and yet you selected the automatic launch upgrade script

on which the installer could not locate the existing application.

Try to follow the steps from the beginning.

• 126. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
                    Aravindram Ragupathy

Hi Bryan,

When i started installing Tableau Server 2018.3.4, I got a pop message stating need to uninstall the existing version to proceed with the new installation. So i have uninstalled 2018.1.

I have cleaned up the environment variables and started installing the same.

Now getting an error message stating "Tableau Server Initialization Failed "

I have looked into few community threads.

Note: I have full access control on C:\Windows, and C:\Windows\System32  and environment variables has been properly set for cmd.exe .

I am not sure whether it is causing up an error because of Firewall issue?

Regards,

Aravind

• 127. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
                      Bryan Fernandez

try to run the obliterate command

Run the tableau-server-obliterate script:

By default: C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\packages\scripts.<version_code>\tableau-server-obliterate.cmd -y -y -y

and try to install the tableau server from the beginning.

• 128. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
                        Aravindram Ragupathy

Hi Bryna,

Still facing up the same issue.

I have checked the following options

1. Having Full control to C:\Windows & C:\Windows\System32.

When i execute the below command,  i just want to know the log whether it is executed sucessfully or not.Please let me know where to check this log

Cmd: tableau-server-obliterate.cmd -y -y -y

Regards,

Aravind

• 129. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
                          Jeffrey Lutomski

It will remove all Tableau instances from Programs and Features. Remove or empty most Tableau directories.

No, I don't recall a log myself, but it's very apparent if it works.

• 130. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
                            abdul kareem

Hi Bryan,

I am trying with trail version and i got below error..

Could you please tell me what might be the reason..

1 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next