7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2019 11:30 AM by Jim Dehner

Format selection properties on maps

David Marquardt

Hello!

I want to edit how Tableau formats selected features on a map.  Currently, a selected feature's borders and fill will supersede all other layers on the map. Sometimes I want to only have the border highlight in order to show other layers.  Is this possible?

I'm attaching an example map of state data to showcase this.  I ideally want to highlight a state, have the border outline increase in thickness and saturation, but remain without a fill color - thus allowing the other layers  (circles) to be seen.

David

Here's an example:

Map of states with a layer shown by circles, and a second layer of state borders (white borders, no fill)

When I highlight a state, Tableau automatically adds a 'selection' fill - hiding the circle I'd like to see.

Note: some may say, "why not just remove the border layer, and select only the circle layer ?"  Problem is, some states - like Wyoming, have such small values, it's hard to find the circle to select. I need a second layer that makes the whole state 'selectable'.

Another potential possibility: can I select two layers at once (both the state boundaries and the circles)?

David

• 1. Re: Format selection properties on maps
          Peter Fakan

Hi David,

I can't think of a method other than turning the point on the second axis to an attribute (thus disabling the 'selection fill') but still using this as a filter.

Are you aware that you can change the size of the circle though ? If you want it bigger, drag the Mark size range a little closer to the LEFT (so that the larger marks don't explode)

And then on the mark size button, drag the slider to the RIGHT (to make all of the marks bigger)

HTH

Peter

• 2. Re: Format selection properties on maps
            Jim Dehner

Hi David

this is a bit of a hack - (you could use Qgis to make this work exactly like you want - not difficult jus a little work)

I reset the map layers to this

then set the filled map color as shown

when you select a dot it will work like this

with a little work in Qgis you would be able to click anywhere in the state

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 3. Re: Format selection properties on maps
              David Marquardt

Thank you!

In this case, the values are so disparate, that the circles of some states would start to overlap before I could get others to appear at a select-able size.

David

• 4. Re: Format selection properties on maps
                Jim Dehner

Thanks

in that case I would suggest Sarah Battersby' white paper   Jitter those points!

I'm sure you will find the solution that meet your need

Jim

• 5. Re: Format selection properties on maps
                  David Marquardt

Thanks!

A white fill would look better, you're right.  If I could click anywhere on a state's polygon and initiate an action that would select the circle as well, that would be great.  I'm curious about QGIS - does a shapefile from this application, when brought into Tableau, behave differently?  Could it have formatting features that override Tableau's default settings?

David

• 6. Re: Format selection properties on maps
                    Jim Dehner

This is not exactly what you want but it illustrates the principle

I live in Nashville and had a question about creating custom regions throughout the state but still having zip codes identifiable - the region (that is the filled portion) and the zip code need to be selectable independently

the 2 shape files were created in QGIS the - the region file was from user data and the zip file was from a tiger download at us census bureau site

the regions are areas and the zips are presented as circles at their centroid

or

it took a little work but Qgis is open source and includes tutorials - it is not to tough to learn - just need to keep in mind the goal

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Format selection properties on maps
                      Jim Dehner

Glad to help out - if you are going down the Qgis track - you will need to create 2 layers - one with points and the other with the regional shapes

good luck

Jim