1 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next 130 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2019 3:27 AM by abdul kareem Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
      • 105. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1 (Windows)v3
        Lily Chang

Thank you so much for putting together the step-by-step guide. Just curious, what's the reason for step 3 in Part C? We upgraded to Tableau Server 2018.2 a while ago and didn't do this step. Wondering what the benefits are? Thanks again. 

3. Double click starting from Administration Agent> Log On Tab > Click this account

Click the button Browse. And Browse the administrator account by typing Administrator and click Check Names and

click Ok Button.

• 106. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1 (Windows)v3
          Jeffrey Lutomski

I think that's check names if the account is Active Directory.

• 107. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1 (Windows)v3
            Muteru Mwangi

The advice and tips in this thread were very helpful to me Bryan Fernandez thanks for starting it!

I successfully upgraded our Dev/Test environment from Tableau Server 2018.1 to 2018.3.2 and I’d like to share my process and experience.

Server Specs

• Single Node Server
            • VMWare vSphere 6.5
            • Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
            • Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 2.60G Hz
            • 4 CPU Cores, 12 GB RAM 240 GB Hard Drive

A) I started by printing and reading the instructions provided by Tableau: https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/sug_pretsm_to_tsm.htm

B) As I read the instructions, I highlighted the sections that pertained to our environment.

C) When I was ready for the upgrade, I started in the section titled Upgrade a single node Tableau Server. Below are the steps as they are listed in the document. Where necessary, I’ve added my notes.

1) Uninstalled Tableau Server 2018.1 – duration was approximately 12 minutes

(a) Backup file was generated as documented

2) Double clicked the 2018.3.2 Setup file: TableauServer-64bit-2018-3-2.exe

3) Executed as documented

4) Executed as documented

5) Executed as documented

(a) The Tableau Services Manager was displayed and I clicked Next

6) As documented

7) As documented – I ran the upgrade script from the Setup program

(a) As documented – I had to select the check box for: Automatically launch the upgrade script.

(b) As documented

(c) Since I used the Upgrade script method, I skipped the sections on using the command line

8) As documented - this is the one on Registering the application

(a) The Sign In page was opened in my browser

(b) After entering the Id and Password, the Registration Page was displayed next. This is the one with: Activate --- Register --- Setup --- Initialize

9) As documented

(a) I used the Web UI method – clicking the Start Tableau Server button

(b) I freaked out when this message was displayed: Start Server Failed – The server start operation failed to complete. The Application Server and Backgrounder processes had the red error Icon. As I was researching this error  message, they both changed to a green Active status.

(c) I skipped the Command Line Start Sever section

10) Skipped

11) Skipped the Upgrade a multi-node Tableau Server section

THAT WAS IT!

Total duration for execution of the above steps – approximately 2 hours.

Muteru Mwangi

• 108. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1 (Windows)v3
              Mark Wu

Bryan Fernandez I was wondering if you would like to talk about the upgrade process at one of the Tableau server admin virtual user group meetings... Pls let me know.

ThxMark Wu

• 109. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1 (Windows)v3
                Jeffrey Lutomski

What version of Tableau Server was the backup created in?

Did you move the server and/or clean cut and do the upgrade?

• 110. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1 (Windows)v3
                  Jeffrey Lutomski

Was it run as administrator?

Did the command or job time out?

Were the permissions on the Tableau folders changed or different?

See below

Manage Server Secrets - Tableau

Understanding how secrets storage works

During installation Tableau Server generates and stores a master key in a Java keystore. The master key is used to encrypt a configuration encryption key that is used across the system.

Whenever a new secret is created or updated, the secret is encrypted with the configuration encryption key. The encrypted value is then stored with its corresponding configuration parameter in a YAML file on the server. Parameters that hold an encrypted value use the format, ENC(<encrypted string>), where <encrypted string> is a Base64-encoded encrypted string.

At run time, when a given secret needs to be accessed, the encrypted values are read into memory and decrypted with the configuration encryption key.

Tableau Server encrypts secrets using 256-bit AES in GCM mode. The keys used for secure storage are different than the asset keys that are used to encrypt embedded database credentials before they are stored in the repository.

Who has access to the master key?

In a default installation, the Java key store for Tableau Server is installed in \ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\config\tabsvc\keystores\ folder. If you have installed Tableau on a non-system drive, then the path is <install drive>:\Tableau\Tableau Server\config\tabsvc\keystores\. By default, the following accounts have access to this directory:

• Run As User account (if configured)
                  • NetworkService predefined local Windows account
                  • LocalSystem predefined local Windows account
                  • Members of the computer Administrators group
                  • 111. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1 (Windows)v3
                    Bryan Fernandez

Lily Chang the purpose of it is to find the local administrator account to run the services needed.

If you use the local administrator account in installing the Tableau Server then you can probably skip that step.

• 112. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1 (Windows)v3
                      diddle doo

Hi Bryan.

Thanks for the excellent information Bryan Fernandez, I was able to successfully upgrade from 10.5 to 2018.2.6

But when i tried from 2018.2.6 to 2018.3.2 I am getting the following error when i ran the upgrade script of 2018.3.2.

Looking forward to your reply

Thanks!

100% - Upgrading database

Updating asset keys.

Reconnecting to asynchronous job...

Job id is '20', timeout is 120 minutes.

100% - Checking if asset key upgrade is needed.

Rebuilding search index.

Job id is '21', timeout is 120 minutes.

Job id is '22', timeout is 120 minutes.

25% - The services failed to start.

Running - Disabling the services used for indexing.Failed to rebuild search index.

An error occurred during installation.

An error occur while rebuilding search index.

Logs:

019-02-06 17:34:17.831 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : INFO  com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.init.RebuildSearchIndex - Running async job 15. Rebuilding search index.

2019-02-06 17:34:17.835 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : INFO  com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.init.RebuildSearchIndex - Starting required services: [clustercontroller, pgsql, searchserver, vizportal]

2019-02-06 17:34:17.872 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : INFO  com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher - Waiting for  services to start with timeout: no timeout

2019-02-06 17:34:17.874 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : INFO  com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher - There are 4 service instances on node node1 not in the desired state: [clustercontroller_0, pgsql_0, searchserver_0, vizportal_0]

2019-02-06 17:34:35.543 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : INFO  com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher - There are 3 service instances on node node1 not in the desired state: [pgsql_0, searchserver_0, vizportal_0]

2019-02-06 17:34:51.559 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : INFO  com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher - There are 2 service instances on node node1 not in the desired state: [searchserver_0, vizportal_0]

2019-02-06 17:34:55.563 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : INFO  com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher - There are 1 service instances on node node1 not in the desired state: vizportal_0 with status STATUS_UNAVAILABLE and current deployment state ENABLED

2019-02-06 17:36:55.694 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : INFO  com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher - There are 1 service instances on node node2 not in the desired state: clustercontroller_0 with status STATUS_UNAVAILABLE and current deployment state DISABLED

2019-02-06 17:46:56.181 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : ERROR com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher - It's been more than 10 minutes since the last successful state transition. Timing out.

2019-02-06 17:46:56.183 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : ERROR com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.JobStepRunner - Running step EnableRequiredServices failed

com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.exceptions.ServiceOperationTimeoutException

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher.abortIfServicesHaventMadeProgress(ServiceStatusWatcher.java:359)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher.checkIfOperationStalled(ServiceStatusWatcher.java:334)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher.lambda$waitForServicesToStartInternal$7(ServiceStatusWatcher.java:463)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.status.ServiceStatusWatcherIterationHelper.doInLoop(ServiceStatusWatcherIterationHelper.java:46)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher.waitForServicesToStartInternal(ServiceStatusWatcher.java:457)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher.waitForServiceInstancesToStart(ServiceStatusWatcher.java:174)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher.waitForServiceInstancesToStart(ServiceStatusWatcher.java:162)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.init.RebuildSearchIndex.startServices(RebuildSearchIndex.java:287)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.init.RebuildSearchIndex.lambda$run$1(RebuildSearchIndex.java:207)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.JobStepRunner.lambda$runStep$1(JobStepRunner.java:154)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.JobStepRunner.runStep(JobStepRunner.java:266)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.JobStepRunner.runStep(JobStepRunner.java:92)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.JobStepRunner.runStep(JobStepRunner.java:136)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.JobStepRunner.runStep(JobStepRunner.java:67)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.JobStepRunner.runStep(JobStepRunner.java:152)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.init.RebuildSearchIndex.run(RebuildSearchIndex.java:203)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.init.RebuildSearchIndex.run(RebuildSearchIndex.java:188)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.AsyncJobService.lambda$runJob$1(AsyncJobService.java:202)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

2019-02-06 17:46:56.186 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : ERROR com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.init.RebuildSearchIndex - Error while rebuilding search index

com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.exceptions.ServiceOperationTimeoutException

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher.abortIfServicesHaventMadeProgress(ServiceStatusWatcher.java:359)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher.checkIfOperationStalled(ServiceStatusWatcher.java:334)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher.lambda$waitForServicesToStartInternal$7(ServiceStatusWatcher.java:463)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.status.ServiceStatusWatcherIterationHelper.doInLoop(ServiceStatusWatcherIterationHelper.java:46)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher.waitForServicesToStartInternal(ServiceStatusWatcher.java:457)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher.waitForServiceInstancesToStart(ServiceStatusWatcher.java:174)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher.waitForServiceInstancesToStart(ServiceStatusWatcher.java:162)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.init.RebuildSearchIndex.startServices(RebuildSearchIndex.java:287)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.init.RebuildSearchIndex.lambda$run$1(RebuildSearchIndex.java:207)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.JobStepRunner.lambda$runStep$1(JobStepRunner.java:154)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.JobStepRunner.runStep(JobStepRunner.java:266)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.JobStepRunner.runStep(JobStepRunner.java:92)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.JobStepRunner.runStep(JobStepRunner.java:136)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.JobStepRunner.runStep(JobStepRunner.java:67)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.JobStepRunner.runStep(JobStepRunner.java:152)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.init.RebuildSearchIndex.run(RebuildSearchIndex.java:203)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.init.RebuildSearchIndex.run(RebuildSearchIndex.java:188)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.AsyncJobService.lambda$runJob$1(AsyncJobService.java:202)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)

2019-02-06 17:46:56.188 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : INFO  com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.init.RebuildSearchIndex - Stopping services: [clustercontroller, pgsql, searchserver, vizportal]

2019-02-06 17:46:56.219 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : INFO  com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher - Waiting for  services to stop with timeout: no timeout

2019-02-06 17:46:56.220 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : INFO  com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher - There are 4 service instances on node node1 not in the desired state: [clustercontroller_0, pgsql_0, searchserver_0, vizportal_0]

2019-02-06 17:47:00.182 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : INFO  com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher - There are 3 service instances on node node1 not in the desired state: [pgsql_0, searchserver_0, vizportal_0]

2019-02-06 17:47:04.185 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : INFO  com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher - There are 2 service instances on node node1 not in the desired state: [pgsql_0, vizportal_0]

2019-02-06 17:47:08.189 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : INFO  com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher - There are 1 service instances on node node1 not in the desired state: vizportal_0 with status STATUS_UNAVAILABLE and current deployment state DISABLING

2019-02-06 17:47:12.194 -0500  pool-11-thread-1 : INFO  com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.impl.ServiceStatusWatcher - All requested services have stopped

2019-02-06 17:47:12.197 -0500  Curator-LeaderSelector-0 : ERROR com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.AsyncJobService - Error running job 15 of type RebuildSearchIndex

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.exceptions.ServiceOperationTimeoutException

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:206)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.AsyncJobService.runJob(AsyncJobService.java:210)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.asyncjobs.AsyncJobService.leaderCallback(AsyncJobService.java:113)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.agent.zookeeper.LeaderWorker$LeaderListener.takeLeadership(LeaderWorker.java:94)

at org.apache.curator.framework.recipes.leader.LeaderSelector$WrappedListener.takeLeadership(LeaderSelector.java:559)

at org.apache.curator.framework.recipes.leader.LeaderSelector.doWork(LeaderSelector.java:421)

at org.apache.curator.framework.recipes.leader.LeaderSelector.doWorkLoop(LeaderSelector.java:466)

at org.apache.curator.framework.recipes.leader.LeaderSelector.access$100(LeaderSelector.java:65)

at org.apache.curator.framework.recipes.leader.LeaderSelector$2.call(LeaderSelector.java:246)

at org.apache.curator.framework.recipes.leader.LeaderSelector$2.call(LeaderSelector.java:240)

at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)

Caused by: com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.webapp.exceptions.ServiceOperationTimeoutException

... 4 more

• 113. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1 (Windows)v3
                        Bryan Fernandez

Hi diddle

I haven't try the 2018.2.6, for me its unstable,

One thing sure that works for my testing is 2018.2.1 then you upgrade to 2018.3.0 first.

Try doing it again.

• 114. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1 (Windows)v3
                          swathi kadem

Bryan Fernandez,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I did try upgrading from 2018.2.1 to 2018.3.0

It failed exactly at the same step in my previous trails also, when i was trying to upgrade tsm

Backing up repository.

Upgrading TSM services.

Waiting for upgraded TSM services to start.

Updating configuration.

Job id is '12', timeout is 10 minutes.

Failed to update configuration.

An error occurred during installation.

Failed to run async job during installer operation.

I found this permission error logs on the worker node, Did you give any permissions on the C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe?
                          Also before upgrading the tsm,  did you stop the stop the server.?

I am using windows 2016 server and installing tableau server in the  D:\ and i have an admin user called tableau

If i should change the permission , should i change the owner to tableau  for the C:\

The worker logs D:\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\logs\tabsvc

2019-02-08 17:34:06.800 -0500 6852 main : ERROR com.tableausoftware.tabsvc.TabSvcControlApp - Failed to apply permissions.

com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.security.PermissionsException: com.tableausoftware.tabutil.dll.Exception: Failed LsaLookupNames2 - 1332

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.security.PermissionsException$Builder.<init>(PermissionsException.java:127)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.security.PermissionsException$Builder.<init>(PermissionsException.java:113)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.security.PermissionsException.builder(PermissionsException.java:107)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.security.windows.permissions.appliers.ServiceLogonRightApplier.hasAllowServiceLogonRight(ServiceLogonRightApplier.java:40)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.security.windows.permissions.appliers.ServiceLogonRightApplier.apply(ServiceLogonRightApplier.java:117)

at com.tableausoftware.tabadmin.security.windows.WindowsPermissionsAdministrator.apply(WindowsPermissionsAdministrator.java:77)

at com.tableausoftware.service.control.ControlServiceApp.grantRunAsUserPermissionsForServiceEnvironment(ControlServiceApp.java:273)

at com.tableausoftware.service.control.ControlServiceApp$Commands.configure(ControlServiceApp.java:494)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

at com.tableausoftware.commandline.SwitchCommand$1.run(SwitchCommand.java:193)

at com.tableausoftware.commandline.SimpleCommand.execute(SimpleCommand.java:47)

at com.tableausoftware.commandline.SwitchCommand.execute(SwitchCommand.java:148)

at com.tableausoftware.service.control.ControlServiceApp.execute(ControlServiceApp.java:145)

at com.tableausoftware.service.control.ControlServiceApp.executeCommandWithApp(ControlServiceApp.java:131)

at com.tableausoftware.tabsvc.TabSvcControlApp.main(TabSvcControlApp.java:72)

Caused by: com.tableausoftware.tabutil.dll.Exception: Failed LsaLookupNames2 - 1332

Looking forward for your reply

Thanks!

• 115. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
                            Bryan Fernandez

Hi swathi,

May I know if you already solve this?

I late replied since your message is at the end and my inbox was already filled up with other notifications.

• 116. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
                              Christine Sesti

Has anyone successfully upgraded directly from 10.5 to 2018.3.3?

• 117. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
                                Jeff Strauss

Christine.  My onsite deployment upgraded successfully from 10.5.3 to 2018.3.2 which is pretty close to what you're asking.  Have you run into issues?

• 118. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
                                  Mark Wu

I went from 10.5.4 to 2018.3.2. Very smooth and 20% render time perf improvement out of the box.

• 119. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade 2018.1 to 2018.2, 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 , 2018.3, 2018.3.1, 2019.1.1 (Windows)v4
                                    Christine Sesti

In our Dev environment it went pretty smooth so far, basically did a fresh install of 2018.3.3 and a restore from the 10.5 backup onto 2018.3.3.   The real test will come tomorrow when I have to uninstall 10.5 and then install 2018.3.3.

Can you provide at high level the steps you took to do the upgrade directly from 10.5 to 2018.3.3?

1 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next