When I use 2018.TSM I'm referring to any version of TS (Tableau Server) that uses TSM.
I began with a fresh install of 2018.1.4 (our current PROD environment) on our software testing QA Server. This was a clean server with no traces of any Tableau software or registry entries on it. This was a fully functional copy of our PROD TS. Note that my worker has 12 cores and is running 12 backgrounders. This works for 2018.1 and older but, I found out, will not work with 2018.TSM!
Prior test installs failed and I even tried wiping out everything and running a fresh 2018.TSM install but the added time and labor of setting everything back up was a real pain in the but t. 2018.2.x was proving to be far too much trouble and stress-inducing so I skipped to 2018.3 and am glad I did as this version works better, with less bugs and slightly better status messages. Thus this install is with a currently running and functional TS installed! This is where the majority of us are and want to be, not starting out in a virgin environment totally devoid of Tableau.
I highly recommend the following:
- If you are in a version that is 10.x or older, upgrade to 2018.1.x. Doing so is easy like all previous installations because it is NOT 2018.TSM
Ignore 2018.2.x! Do not even consider it!
- If you are not using VizAlerts then upgrade to 2018.3.2 or whatever the latest version is available.
- If you are using VizAlerts then upgrade to 2018.3.1. 2018.3.3, when it comes out, should have the bug fixes in it to allow VizAlerts to function. Info is here: Warning: Do not upgrade to Server 2018.3.2 if using VizAlerts!
- Backup your 2018.1.x TS, save the file in a totally different file system (just in case) and also save it in your Tableau Server destination folder i.e. whatever it is you chose for this:
- You've got to be patient. Many times there was little to no activity in my Task Managers and it seemed like things were hung but I decided to wait and, sure enough, things eventually progressed. YMMV (your mileage may vary).
I have a primary server and a worker server, so a 2 node environment.
Okay, let's get on with it! My steps...
- Logon to servers using an administrator account. This is important. I used my regular [personal] account.
- Uninstalled from both nodes using the regular Uninstall option from Control Panel >> Programs and Features.
- Copy the backup .tsbak into the TS destination folder. This will then allow the upgrade to automatically perform a restore to your database but this will increase this install time. Alternatively, don't save the backup file here and simply perform the upgrade as described below and once it's done & working then perform the
tsm maintenance restore.
- Being highly impatient I did a simultaneous install of WN (Worker Node) and PN (Primary Node). If you have a single node environment just ignore all WN commentary.
- When the WN displays this, choose the second radio button
- When the PN displays this, click the first radio button
- Uncheck all boxes and click OK on the PN when install is done:
- Create the bootstrap.json file on the PN and save to the WN.
The bootstrap file is saved to my temp folder. I then copied it to the temp folder on my WN.
- Continue with the WN setup:
I think this took around 30 minutes to complete even though it looked like nothing was happening. Done with WN, yeay!
- Now run UPGRADE-TSM.CMD on the primary server. You do this whether you have a single node or multi-nodes in your TS environment. Pay attention to the password requests for the particular user. RUN AS USER will be asked for which is naturally a different password than my personal account. Took almost an hour for me.
- The login screen will eventually be displayed. Sign in the administrator account to be used (does not have to be the Run As User account):
- Verify Configuration:
- Click “Pending Changes” to verify
Make changes if necessary…I recommend making changes after the TS is up and running (next step) but if errors are now happening then go ahead and make the changes.
- Click “Start Tableau Server” to make it available!
- “Server is Starting” TSM window will be translucent while startup takes place
- It took about 10-15 minutes for the browser to display the opening login screen on a separate machine. The TSM window took about 30 minutes to complete.
(In my case, all of the Backgrounders were ERROR. I changed the number of Backgrounders to 8 in TSM and applied the changes. Backgrounders eventually became Active! This means I'll need to spin up another WN so all those other cores don't go to waste.)
- Apply server setting changes script if you have one (mine took about 30 minutes) or make manual changes, otherwise skip to Step 18.
- Done, yeay!
-- End Of Document --