2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2019 5:15 AM by Ciara Brennan

What is the copyright situation with publicly published dashboards

Aukje van Gestel

Hi everyone,

I have created a dashboard based on research results generated by a University Medical Center.

The results of the research are public, i.e. everyone should have access to the information. So we want to publish the dashboard with public access.

In the Terms of Service of Tableau, I read the following:

"...with respect to Content you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Service, you grant to Tableau and all users of the Service a worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable and fully sublicensable license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content (in whole or in part) and to incorporate such Content into other works in any format or medium now known or later developed."

What are the consequences for the copyrights? Can anyone who uses the dashboard, copy the information and publish it without quotation of the source?

European Copyrights are automatically regulated by law. Does this Term of Service supersede the law?

If so, can we place a copyright statement on the dashboard that states that the content cannot be published or publicly displayed without quotation of source?

Thanks for any help and insight,

Aukje