2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 10:05 AM by Jennifer VonHagel

Different fonts for print + server

Tom Varco

I maintain a set of dashboards that's updated and simultaneously distributed two ways on a monthly basis:

• Published to our Tableau server - using Arial.
      • Static PDF versions - using our company's official fonts.

I'm looking for suggestions as to the best way to manage this. Right now I maintain separate workbooks, but this means double work anytime I need to update or change something, as well as the possibility of me forgetting to change both. I had researched the possibility of installing the Company font on the server, but it seemed that this would only work if it was also installed on all client computers - unfortunately, it's not. The best solution I can think of is to use a single workbook, and change the font globally back and forth as necessary. Another thought was to see if the alternate font can be changed on the server, but I couldn't find any information on this via Google. Right now, if I publish using our company font, it defaults to Times New Roman for those who don't have it installed.

I'd love to hear any other ideas. I'm not a server admin, but they're flexible if I need changes made.

• 1. Re: Different fonts for print + server
          Ciara Brennan

Hi Tom

I think the link below from Jennifer VonHagel is a great resource on the topic of supported fonts within Tableau...

Resource: Browser-Safe Font Menu

Have a look through and let us know if this helps answer your query,

Ciara

• 2. Re: Different fonts for print + server
            Jennifer VonHagel

Hi Tom,

I've had similar issues.  With one client, the company font makes the report look so polished and beautiful and frankly more legible, that they've decided users will simply have to download the font to their computers for now.  Because this report is huge and dense (~300 sheets and 15 dashboards, with each dashboard having waaaay more than the recommended number of objects on it) and everything is spaced to the pixel, maintaining two versions for different fonts is out of the question.

You could test whether switching the font globally will work in your case. I've found that because different fonts can vary so much in the amount of width or height the occupy that a straight switch-out often requires touch up formatting (text fields may need to be made bigger or the font a smaller point to fully show the switched-out font).

If you do maintain two sets of reports, could you put them both in the same workbook?  This way, any data extracts or calculation changes will always apply to both. You could even set filters to apply to both the twin sheets.  If you have to modify the structure of a view or dashboard, you'd have to alter both, but at least your data, calculations, and filters can be shared. 

Best,

Jennifer