1 2 3 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2019 10:56 AM by Alex Kerin Go to original post
      • 30. Re: A Place for Small Fixes (UI and others)
        Ken Flerlage

When you have a dashboard action on a dashboard, then add a new sheet, it drives me crazy that Tableau automatically includes the new sheet in that action. Most of the time, I don't want this. Can we change the default to not include the new sheets?

• 31. Re: A Place for Small Fixes (UI and others)
          Joe Oppelt

Ken Flerlage wrote:

When you have a dashboard action on a dashboard, then add a new sheet, it drives me crazy that Tableau automatically includes the new sheet in that action. Most of the time, I don't want this. Can we change the default to not include the new sheets?

Upvote.

And everyone I know would probably vote for this too.

• 32. Re: A Place for Small Fixes (UI and others)
            Yuriy Fal

+1

As i could recall, Shawn had been getting mad

most of the time by this unfair behaviour (so do i).

• 33. Re: A Place for Small Fixes (UI and others)
              Ken Flerlage

Here's one on Tableau Prep. Syntax check is nice and all, but unless you have a fully formulated calculated field, the syntax is always off. So, you just get this annoying red, underline thing. Perhaps this could be changed to work more like Tableau Desktop.

• 34. Re: A Place for Small Fixes (UI and others)
                Alex Kerin

Generally, even in Desktop, I feel the error indication could be improved.

Adding something else (and I will get to a master list of these)

When you copy a dashboard from one workbook to another. 1) It shouldn't replicate the source if it's exactly the same (e.g. the same TDS) 2) Any sheets that are included in tooltips should also be copied

• 35. Re: A Place for Small Fixes (UI and others)
                  Joe Oppelt

Alex Kerin wrote:

Generally, even in Desktop, I feel the error indication could be improved.

Now that one makes me laugh.  The error indicator comes on too fast in Desktop.  When I'm writing a calc, I try to beat the error indicator, but usually rushing my typing/pasting/dragging just introduces typos.    Sure, you get used to it and just overlook it, like an odd quirk in an old friend.  But I'd like to see some sort of extra button that triggers the syntax checker, rather than the syntax checker engaging constantly in real time.

When you copy a dashboard from one workbook to another. 1) It shouldn't replicate the source if it's exactly the same (e.g. the same TDS)...

When you copy a dashboard from one workbook to another. 1) It shouldn't replicate the source if it's exactly the same (e.g. the same TDS) ...

Another of those quirks in an old friend.  Today it requires a REPLACE operation and then deleting the duplicate source.  Whether copying a dashboard or just a sheet.  To me, this one is more annoying than the impatient syntax checker.  At least this one is less frequent, because we're always writing calcs, but pasting from another workbook isn't a daily thing.

... 2) Any sheets that are included in tooltips should also be copied

Didn't know that was a problem.  (Never copied a dashboard with a viz in tooltip.)

Wow.  I certainly would have expected that to get copied over if I had copied such a dashboard!

Good stuff, Alex!

• 36. Re: A Place for Small Fixes (UI and others)
                    Ken Flerlage

OK, this is a super minor one, but as someone who answers a lot of questions on the forums, many of which include calculated fields, I'd love it if, when I copy the calculated field text, it would bring over the formatting instead of just copying as text. For example, I just copied a formula and pasted it below:

// Get last month.

DATEADD('month',-1,[Actual Date])

I then end up doing some manual formatting, changing it to a fixed length font, etc.

// Get last month

But I'd love if the color coding were included as well as it just makes the formulas easier to read. But that's too much work to do manually, so I'd love it if Tableau automatically copied it as rich text, pre-formatted with a font and font colors.

// Get last month

Again, super minor, but would be a nice little feature.

• 37. Re: A Place for Small Fixes (UI and others)
                      Ken Flerlage

Here's one that drives me crazy with dashboard sizing. Often, especially on my personal projects which often take a "Scrollytelling" long form, I will pick an arbitrary height for the dashboard. As I build it out, that height is never right, so I have to resize it. When I do that, all my objects resize and reposition automatically. Most of the time, I don't want that--I just want to add or remove some space from the bottom. Would be great if there were a setting to tell Tableau not to resize or reposition any objects.

• 38. Re: A Place for Small Fixes (UI and others)
                        Joe Oppelt

Ken -- There is already an IDEA logged for dashboard resizing.  See here (and vote it up!)

https://community.tableau.com/ideas/8603

But I'm with you that this doesn't need to be handled through the more cumbersome IDEAS paradigm.

Of course, I don't know the engineering behind dashboard management, but If I were tasked with adding this suggestion, I would place a TILED structure under the existing dashboard (if it isn't already there) and then tile in a new blank object to occupy the new space.  Leave all the existing stuff positioned in the underlying space, and let the new blank occupy the new.  All the floating stuff would be left alone that way.

Of course, what sounds easy to me might very well be unfeasible for other technical reasons, so I'm just thinking out loud here.

• 39. Re: A Place for Small Fixes (UI and others)
                          Joe Oppelt

Also, Ken, another place to mention this is in this thread:

Do you use dashboard containers? We want to hear how you use them!

Dashboard Dev'ers were looking for feedback about container behavior.  this would be putting the issue in front of the eyes that need to see it.

• 41. Re: A Place for Small Fixes (UI and others)
                            Alex Kerin

How about sensible auto-formatting of numbers based on the calculation - specifically that countd defaults to 0 decimal places

• 42. Re: A Place for Small Fixes (UI and others)
                              Alex Kerin

You can tell when I'm doing 'real' work..

The "Reconnect to X Data Source" should have a "Do not ask again" option

1 2 3 Previous Next