8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2019 12:26 AM by Donna Coles

Cache Filter Selection by User

Al Genin

Is there a way that Tableau server can cache each users filter selections?  Or allow the browser to cache?  For example, we have multiple properties, and within each property we have multiple departments.  Users will want to select filter criteria to narrow to their property and department.  I'd like the filters to default to their most recent selections. 

• 1. Re: Cache Filter Selection by User
          Michael Gillespie

On server, each user can customize their filter set and save that customized view as their personal default view.  What you're describing is a very common use case for that functionality.

Look for the "View:" button on the toolbar for a view:

After you customize your view (I changed a region filter), click on that button and this dialog appears.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cache Filter Selection by User
            Al Genin

Thank you Michael!

• 3. Re: Cache Filter Selection by User
              Anton Bobanov

Sorry could you tell which minimal level of permission such functionality require? Is this possible with Viewer?

• 4. Re: Cache Filter Selection by User
                Donna Coles

Hi Anton

If you're having problems seeing this it's likely due to the version of the software you're on.  When Tableau first introduced subscription based licensing, this option was only available for Explorer.  Prior to subscription licensing (core or user based licensing), it is available for 'interactors'.  Following feedback from customers and the communiity, in v2019.2, they have reintroduced the functionality for subscription based Viewer licences.

Donna

• 5. Re: Cache Filter Selection by User
                  Anton Bobanov

Hi Donna,

sorry maybe I was not quite precise in my question. I am a newbie administrator and have to set up this permissions and functionality to our clients. Users have to be able fully interact with dashboards, use filters, parameters, save (cache) selections and states but not more. No access to sheets, no download, no download any data, no access to data source for sure. So the question is what minimal level of access (Site role and workbook permission) can I apply.

If Viewer can use this filter customization I'll probably go for it.

Thanks,

Anton

• 6. Re: Cache Filter Selection by User
                    Donna Coles

Hi Anton

Knowing what version of Tableau Server you're running is still useful, and whether you're using subscription based licensing, as the permission roles have changed recently.

From what I understand, if you're using subscription based licensing then pre v2019.2, you would need to be at least an Explorer to create custom views.  Since v2019.2 was released, custom views are now available to Viewers.

If you're not on subscription based licensing, then you would need to be Interactor to create custom views.

Hope that helps.

Donna

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Cache Filter Selection by User
                      Anton Bobanov

Hi Donna,

This is really important what you said. We have Tableau Server 2018.2.

But we don't have existing users. So I am kind of free in terms of how do I want to set it up .

Thanks you very much!

Anton

• 8. Re: Cache Filter Selection by User
                        Donna Coles

Hi Anton

If you're happy this thread has reached a suitable conclusion, could you please mark an answer (prob Michael's) as correct, or set as 'Assumed Answered' , so that the thread can be closed off, and others with a similar problem can find solutions.

Thanks

Donna