12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2019 4:40 PM by Ben Bryant

TabJolt for Server 2018.3

Ben Bryant

I have uploaded a new version of TabJolt which you can download here. https://github.com/tableau/tabjolt/releases

This version includes fixes which allow it to work on versions up though 2018.3 including Linux servers. If you encounter problems or have questions please let us know in this thread. We hope to push out incremental updates in the near future.

• 1. Re: TabJolt for Server 2018.3
          Ciara Brennan

Thanks for sharing @ Ben!

• 2. Re: TabJolt for Server 2018.3
            Parth Upadhyay

Hi Ben,

Currently I am trying to explore Tabjolt for Tableau: 2018.3 version. And I am facing a road block while installing Tabjolt.

As suggested in the guide, I am installing tabjolt on a new EC2 windows machine(m4.xlarge) separate from actual Tableau Server.

I am using installation guide from below:

https://github.com/tableau/tabjolt/releases

When I am entering “OS Login Credentials” correctly I am still getting below error.

"Unable to log into Tableau Services Manager. Please double check that the username and password are correct"

I am able to ping tableau server from tabjolt box successfully but i am not sure where am i going wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 3. Re: TabJolt for Server 2018.3
              Parth Upadhyay

Also I am able to successfully connect with Tableau Server when i am entering Tableau Server Admin credentials in Step 1.

I am able to get the proper list of Views as well in Step 2.

It is only the last step “OS Login Credentials”  i am facing problem.

• 4. Re: TabJolt for Server 2018.3
                Parth Upadhyay

Latest Update -

I was able to successfully run the Tabjolt results for the Tableau Server box.

So this is really strange that the last step of installation (Tabjolt integration with TSM) did not complete still Tabjolt is working as expected.

I think the issue lies Tabjolt integration with TSM in the latest version of tabjolt - TabJolt 2018.2.0 Installer

• 5. Re: TabJolt for Server 2018.3
                  Toby Erkson

I hope this will clear up some confusion in the documentation.

For a complete list of command line parameters for the go.bat file enter the following on the command line:

go help

Currently you will get the following after a few debug error messages (ignore them) and a rather long example at the end:

There are two ways to run TabJolt:
                    * Run a specific test plan and upload results. 3 parameters are required: test plan, duration, and thread count.
                      go --t=testplans\InteractVizLoadTest.jmx --d=10 --c=1
                    * Only upload results. 2 parameters are required: processResultsOnly, and ResultsFolderPath
                      go --processResultsOnly=true --p=C:\Results

--buildVersion       --b:   The build version of server under test
                  --customParams       --z:   Custom parameters that test would need
                                              eg --z=loadMultiplier=2,replayFile=c:\replay.json
                  --description        --r:   The description of the run. Default to empty.
                  --doNotPurge         --n:   whether or not to retain the result in DB without being purged.
                                              Default to false.
                  --duration           --d:   The duration for the perf run. Time unit is seconds.
                  --emailReport        --x:   List of email recipients separated by commas (no spaces)
                  --environment        --e:   The environment which the run is hitting against. Default to empty.
                  --injector           --j:   If not specified, localhost is treated as injector. You can
                                              specify multiple injectors as a comma separated string like
                                              --j=machine1,machine2, in which case clients are equally
                                              divided between the injectors; the same testplan and
                                              configuration files are used by all injectors. If you do use
                                              this flag, jmeter engine is run only on the machines
                                              specified. If remote injector is given, it is assumed that
                                              psexec.exe is included in the PATH environment variable. If
                                              remote injector is given, the same directory structure is
                                              created on remote machine as on localhost.
                  --note                      Adding extra note to the run
                  --officialRun        --ofr: Indicating whether official run or not
                  --owner              --o:   The owner of the run. Default to the login user of the system.
                  --processResultsOnly --a:   Does not run test; only uploads results to DB. Requires --p option.
                                              Eg --a=true --p=c:\ResultsFolder\.
                  --ResultsFolderPath  --p:   Specify the path (p) where the results go
                  --rootPath:                 The location of bin, lib, config, and testplans directories.
                  --serverUrl          --u:   Specify the server url which the test case is trying to hit.
                                              It will override the value in ServerTestConfig.yml.
                  --skipSaveResult     --s:   whether or not to skip saving the result to DB.  Default to false.
                  --TestPassId         --i:   Specify the testPassId (i) which the test case run is part of
                  --testPlan           --t:   The location of the jmeter test plan (.jmx).
                  --TestplanFolder     --f:   Specify the folder (f) where all the testplans exist
                  --threadCount        --c:   The number of threads used in the perf run.
                  --twbFilePath        --y:   File path to performanceViz.twb
                  --workers            --w:   Specify the workers which are part of your server deployment

In it's easiest form you execute Tabjolt as so:

go --t=testplans\<t> --d=<d> --c=<c>

where

• <t> is the filename of the plan to use (InteractVizLoadTest.jmx, ViewInteractVizLoadTest.jmx, ViewVizLoadTest.jmx, or Replay.jmx if you will use that feature)
                  • <d> is the number of seconds to run Tabjolt
                  • <c> is the number of users - or threads - to run against the Tableau Server

Do not place spaces around the required equals symbols.

• 6. Re: TabJolt for Server 2018.3
                    Juan Landaeta

Hello Ben!

Im having this same issue attempting to install TabJolt in Tableau Server 2013.0 environment. Did u solve this issue? You could help me? im stuck in label OS Login Credentials when i have to input domain and credentials of my tsm configuration.

What i need to do do?TabJolt Issue Installation.PNG

LIKE (0) THIS HELPED ME YES

• 7. Re: TabJolt for Server 2018.3
                      Kathryn Lavercombe

Hi there Ben!

Thanks for posting!

Similarly to those above, I'm also having trouble connecting to TSM in the configuration window.

I have tried every combination of login domains I could think of -- removing the s on https, removing the https:// entirely, removing the end of the domain (e.g. removing just status, removing /status, removing #/status, etc), and even tried changing 'status' to say login so that it was similar to Juan's above -- no dice.

This is in addition to directly copying and pasting the username and password into both the config window and into TSM (logging into TSM both on my local machine and on the remote machine)

I'm a relative noob to all of this and unfortunately I've reached the end of my google ability -- help!

Thanks!!

___

OH!! To add to that, the svc_analytics account definitely has local admin on the ausytabappp01 server..

• 8. Re: TabJolt for Server 2018.3
                        Ben Bryant

Juan and Kathryn, so sorry for the delay in responding to you. Other folks have run into this issue so you're not alone. We are looking into what's going on with this and hope to put out a fix soon. There is a workaround you can use until then.

These credentials are used to lookup JMX port values for the tableau services, but you don't necessarily need them for all TabJolt runs.

If you don't care about the JMX values, do the following:

1. Run the setup again (config.bat) and when you get to the "OS Login Credentials" leave all the fields empty and close the window (don't click finish).
                        2. Remove a few lines from TabJolt\config\dataretriever.config. Here's the section of the manual detailing those lines. Note that it tells you how to add them, but in this case you'll probably need to delete them.
                        3. Run the test. If it's successful you should see a line like this in the output near the beginning:
                        INFO  [2019-02-06 16:41:48,812][main] (Main.java:253)   - No jmx counter groups found for any host. Skipping jmx data retriever.

If you want to collect JMX values, do the following:

1. Run the setup again (config.bat) and when you get to the "OS Login Credentials" leave all the fields empty and close the window (don't click finish).
                        2. Then consult the section of the manual titled Getting JMX Port Numbers for Tabadmin. It will walk you through how to retrieve the port numbers and add them to dataretriever.config.
                        3. Open c:\tabjolt\config\PerfTestConfig.yaml in a text editor and make sure "performJmxPortLookup" is set to "false".
                        4. Run the test as you normally would.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I can add them to this post for other people looking to resolve this issue.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: TabJolt for Server 2018.3
                          Juan Landaeta

Hi Ben!!

I hope you are doing well, thank you for your help and support.

I did what you advice previously but i still got the same message error...i dont know how to step forward in order to use TabJolt for my Tableau Server v2018.3 installation, i delete from dataretreiver.config file the lines related to JMX counters but im not sure if that will help me going throug this...

You have any other idea? i really need your help!

Thanks!!

• 10. Re: TabJolt for Server 2018.3
                            Ben Bryant

If you are seeing that same error message while on the "OS Login Credentials" tab, run config.bat again and simply close it when it gets to that tab. The instructions I posted didn't include this detail, so I'll update my post to clear it up. Then you can remove the JMX config lines as needed and do a test run.

Thanks!

• 11. Re: TabJolt for Server 2018.3
                              Ron Chipman

Thanks for posting Ben.  With 2019.1 now out, does this version of TabJolt work with that?  We looking at starting our testing in the next couple of weeks, and would like to go ahead and validate the jump to 2019.1.  Thanks.

• 12. Re: TabJolt for Server 2018.3
                                Ben Bryant

Hi Ron, Yes this version does work with 2019.1.