2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2019 11:09 PM by Isaac Madera

Inconsistent rendering across browsers

Isaac Madera

When I publish dashboards on Tableau Server, I often find that the rendering is very different between IE and Chrome at the same zoom levels. I attached screenshots of the same dashboard in IE vs in Chrome @ 100% zoom. I blurred the images because the data is confidential and because data is not needed to see that Chrome is much more zoomed in than IE.

While users can adjust zoom levels on their own, I feel like it's my duty to set the default to what I think is most effective. In fact, I'm certain having an optimal default zoom can make a big difference in user adoption rate. I'd hate for users to not come back to newly built dashboards because their experiences are not what the creator intended.

I realize getting perfect rendering across different browsers and monitors is impossible, but I feel like two browsers in the same monitor should not be this far apart. Is there anything I can do to tackle this issue to ensure a more consistent default zoom?

Other facts:

• At my company, IE and Chrome are fairly evenly used so favoring one over the other isn't exactly ideal
      • We're still on Windows 7 and Edge isn't an option

Thanks in advance for the help!

poseidon_summary_ie_zoom100.jpgposeidon_summary_chrome_zoom100.jpg

• 1. Re: Inconsistent rendering across browsers
          Chris McClellan

The short answer is - Chrome conforms to web standards better than IE.  It looks like your dashboard size is Automatic.  If you build fixed width dashboards it will be more consistent (and yes, I know the argument for fixed width vs automatic)

The long answer is ....

Windows 7 ? OUCH !

Google says ..... "Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but extended support won't end until January 14, 2020"

So I'd be migrating OFF Windows 7 VERY FAST !!

There's no way to make IE work properly/better than what it's doing now.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Inconsistent rendering across browsers
            Isaac Madera

The dashboard is actually fixed width - which only makes this all the more confusing.

That said, never really thought of Windows 7 / IE as being to blame here. That is certainly a plausible explanation. I'm only on Windows 7 because my company hasn't migrated to Windows 10! Sounds like my company will have to upgrade us soon if Microsoft ends mainstream support a year from now.

Anyways, glad I'll have a solution at some point in the near future. And good to know that Chrome is more representative than IE of what Windows 10 will end up displaying like, so I'll keep using Chrome as my base. Thanks for the help, Chris.

Isaac