Thank you Mark!
Do you know where to find those files on the Linux release?
sometimes you have to post a question seconds before finding the answer. here it is:
2 of 2 people found this helpful
I found my own answer for the two blue lines. It is not a color in CSS but an image file \Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\x.x\vizportalclient\public\img\header_divider.png.
I just renamed it get rid of the two vertical Tableau blue bars. I also updated my previous post to complete the instructions.
In version 9.1 does this work?
I did all the steps and the tableau does not change the colors.
If you didn't get it to work then it probably won't work since the original post was for version 10. Tableau is known for changing things between versions so I am not surprised it doesn't work
The version this my Tableau Server is specifically 20191.19.0215.0259
2019.1.1 (20191.19.0215.0259) 64bits Linux
Okay, thanks, that's very different from 9.1! So, yeah, the chances are good that what we've tried in the past will not work with 2019 However, as can be seen, there are some pretty clever folks here who've cracked it in the different versions so hopefully they will do it again Keep your fingers crossed!
But now I see that in the old browser (example internet Exporer, and Firefox 36) yes it changes the colors ...
Do you have any idea why in the old browser, the color change works?
Nope. You've probably already done it but I'd recommend clearing out the current browser's cache and then checking.
I already did it, but the colors do not change ...
One question, the tableau server have a internal cache of http service?, and if there is a way to clean that cache?
1 of 1 people found this helpful
I had the exact same issue that Igor had. The color changes I made only worked in IE and not Chrome/Firefox. Our server version is: 2019.1.3.
I followed Mark Wu's posted above along with Shivaram's: Tableau Topbar color layout change to represent the environment Tableau 2018.1.2
Here is how I fixed the issue:
I've followed Mark Wu's & Shivaram Chennapragada's posts before, but after this update round I noticed there are now three .br files. When Chrome/Firefox would not update to the element changes I made, I suspected these .br files were the culprit.
A quick ole Google determined that .BR files are generated from an open source compression program: https://textslashplain.com/2015/09/10/brotli/
Here are said .br files:
To test my theory, I decompressed vizportal.css.br to confirm that it's the exact same file as the pre-modified vizportal.css file. I then generated a new .br file from my modified vizportal.css file and Chrome/Firefox portrayed my element changes as expected.
In conclusion, you have to generate new .br files from the three modified files. These are highlighted in the above screen shot.
Here's how you do it.
Step 1: Head to https://textslashplain.com/2015/09/10/brotli/ and scroll to the "Running Brotil.exe" section. Click the link to download the .exe.
Step 2: Copy Brotli.exe and your three raw, modified files to folder of your choice. I created a new Brotli temp folder to keep it clean.
Step 3: Open a command prompt window and navigate to the folder directory.
Step 4: Enter the three commands found below, one by one, into the CMD window:
brotli.exe --in vizportal.css --out vizportal.css.br
brotli.exe --in vizportal.js --out vizportal.js.br
brotli.exe --in vizportal.min.js --out vizportal.min.js.br
As you can see, we now have three newly generated .br files.
Step 5: Copy your newly created .br files into C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\packages\vizportalclient.<*server build version here*>\public folder
You should now have your new .br, .gz, and modified vizportal files into the directory.
Step 6: Kill the vizportal.exe process in task manager. WARNING: this will prevent users from accessing your Tableau Server instance until the service is fully back up and running. The service will start back up automatically, but can take quite a few minutes to be fully operational again.
Step 7: Once the vizportal.exe service is back-up and running, clear your browser cache and access your landing page again. Your element changes should now be working
Hope this helps!