1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2018 12:34 PM by shrikant.patil.2 Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
        Egor Larin

Ok then I don't get the answer from Carisa Chang

4. You'll get the benefits and restrictions of both licenses that are active on your Tableau Server.

For instance, if you have a 16 Core license, with Guest access, and you add 100 Creator license, you will have:

A limit of 16 cores of hardware

Guest access

Unlimited Explorers (from the unlimited Interactors that come with a Core license)

100 Creators

Based on that you can extra roles - Creators.

Toby Erkson wrote:

It's my understanding that a Creator license is subscription-based only

Wow... So we stuck and we can't use new Creators functionality? Forcing to buy subscription model and limiting functionality...

So also that means - the current TD Professional keys that are subscription-based model won't be converted to Creators. Seriously?

• 16. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
          Carisa Chang

Hi Egor,

Hopefully I can clear this up a bit for you

Tableau Desktop Professional users who had a current subscription or maintenance when Tableau Prep was released get a free Tableau Prep key - good through June 30, 2020. In order to activate Tableau Prep for current Desktop users, you'll need to use the Tableau Prep key (beginning with "TP) from your Customer Portal. Each portal account received 1 TP key with enough activations for all the Tableau Desktop users on the account. This video shows how to find your TP key: How to get Tableau Prep key in Customer Portal | Tableau Software

Current Tableau Desktop users are not automatically converted into Creators, which means they do not automatically get an additional license for Tableau Server/Online. Your Tableau Account Manager can help you convert those users to Creators, or help you add additional Creator licenses to your account.

Once you have Creator licenses, you can add them to your Tableau Server using Core licenses, and get the benefits of both!

Creator licenses are subscription only, but you can add them to your Tableau Server along with perpetual Core licenses.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 17. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
            Donna Coles

Toby Erkson Thanks for taking the time to post all this up.  I've had some conversations with my account mgr already, but will be discussing in more detail when we actually get nearer to upgrading, so this will help as we get nearer to the upgrade itself (by which time I'd also expect others to have already gone through the process, and so they'll be a bit more practical experience to draw on).

• 18. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
              Toby Erkson

Update

I upgraded our QA Server from 10.5.3 to 2018.1.

Timing:

7:03AM – Began upgrade.

8:13AM – Status UP for server i.e. ready for use.

8:25AM - Installation complete.

Site roles did not change nor did permissions.

By all appearances it looks like I didn't upgrade.  If it weren't for the About information one would never know an upgrade had occurred.

Also, the worker upgrade was pushed from the primary, I didn't need to do any manual installation on the worker

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 19. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
                shrikant.patil.2

Hi Donna,

wondering if you have come to any conclusion as how new model would affect your existing setup. We are kind of in a same boat. We have core-based server license with close to 2000 users. As our maintenance is nearing expiry date, its high time for us to decide on the future of Tableau in our organization. I am gathering as much knowledge as possible before setting up meeting with our account rep.

Question to all(might sound dumb ),

per my understanding, creator license will give user ability to use Desktop and a seat on server with subscription based model. If I have core-based license, why can't I just add this new user with existing site role setup(Publisher, Interactor etc) as I have been doing in current setup? I am still confused by the sentence that 10.x site role would get changed to new role when a new creator user is added to the server. Has any one actually setup server with new subscription model?

Thanks to all the info in this thread, definitely helped me learn few new things with regards to new model.

• 20. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
                  Donna Coles

Hi there

As yet I haven't progressed this much further.  Our maintenance is due to expire in 3 months, so conversations will re-start with our acc mgr soon. As yet we haven't upgraded to v2018+, so the new licensing model won't apply.  However, what the cost to renew our core server maintenance for another year is a bit of an unknown, since Tableau don't seem to be advertising a core licensing option any longer (at least not for a business our size).  It might be that the maintenance cost is pitched at such a price point, that an upgrade and switch to the new licence offerings becomes the only viable alternative.

Donna

1 2 Previous Next