4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2018 8:08 AM by Joe Oppelt

Download report to csv/excel without displaying data on Dashboard

Anastasiia Martyn

Does anybody know how to download data to csv / excel from Tableau Online or Tableau Desktop without displaying all data in report on the worksheet?

The reason I need this is a huge number of data for "All time"( e.g. 2017 year). that just can't be uploaded to the worksheet.

There are too many rows and I wish I could not wait for tableau online to load all data (that could be impossible without taking our server down).

I would like to select period interval I need and just download the data.

But I didn't find any info about how to do that.

I hope one of the solutions exists. 

• 1. Re: Download report to csv/excel without displaying data on Dashboard
          Joe Oppelt

I do that.

I have a separate sheet (crosstab) with just the columns the user wants.  I publish that as an individual sheet.  When you display it on Server, you get a URL for that published sheet.  (Save that URL.)

In your user's dashboard, create a little sheet that looks like an icon.  When he clicks on it, have a SELECT hyperlink action that points to the published sheet.  You can pass the parameter and filter values in the URL string so that the sheet generates rows only for the user's selections.

I have a post that discusses details of doing this -- in this thread:  How to Export filtered view from a tableau dashboard

• 2. Re: Download report to csv/excel without displaying data on Dashboard
            Anastasiia Martyn

Joe, Thanks for your feedback.

I tried your suggestion from your previous thread.

1) I created this calculation fild with all filter parameters in the url I need.

2) I added the  excel icon to the dashboard and attached this hyper link.

But still it doesn't work for my case. All the filter values that I have passed to the export url are not applied to the exported file (even if I try to change them manually in the link) because they are connected to the dashboard view (that works only with  these steps: select on dashboard and then download selected data) .

As i have said earlier - I don't want to apply filters on dashboard and then export a  file.

If I apply all necessary filters on dashboard then it starts loading and just fails with error (because too much data is selected).

I would like JUST to apply the "download to excel" (with applied filters to file) without applying filters on dashboard.

And still cannot do that. Maybe i'm doing something wrong

• 3. Re: Download report to csv/excel without displaying data on Dashboard
              Joe Oppelt

Maybe I'm just not understanding what you are trying to do.

Here is what I think you want to do:

You have a user dashboard.  The user can set filters and parameters, but if you displayed the selected data in a sheet right on the dashboard, it would take forever to display.  So you want the user to hit a button of some sort once he has made all his selections, and have it go directly to excel in the background.

If that's what you want, then that's what I tried to describe to you.

On your user dashboard, display all your filters and parameters.  Hidden somewhere on the dashboard will be a bogus sheet that has all the filters needed here, but don't put all the dimensions on the viz itself.  Just something like SUM(Number of Records).  The sheet itself doesn't have to be visible to the user.  Just the filters and parameters.

Publish the sheet (not a dashboard, just a sheet) that will generate the actual excel file separately.  Pass all the parameter and filter values to the published sheet in a URL.

In the attached is an example (V10.1) of the dashboard I'm describing.

Sheet 3 is a bogus sheet that has two filters on it.  I floated it on the dashboard, behind another container.  The container has another sheet that says, "Click here..."

Your published sheet should have the same filters on it.  By default it should have all values selected.  ("Use All".)  When you pass the filter values in the URL, if you do it correctly, they will apply to the single sheet.

• 4. Re: Download report to csv/excel without displaying data on Dashboard
                Joe Oppelt

For the record, I just gave a simple way to hide Sheet 3.  There are 100 ways to have it on the dashboard without the user seeing it, yet leaving the filters exposed for the user to select.