1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2018 9:51 AM by tableau gstl Go to original post
      • 15. Re: CROSS JOIN with Tableau's join dialog
        mark.welsh

Yep, tried that too.  I'll test with some other data sources/extracts and see if I can get a feel for what's going on.  Thanks for the link.

• 16. Re: CROSS JOIN with Tableau's join dialog
          kettan

You are welcome. I hope you will find out what is going on.

• 17. Re: CROSS JOIN with Tableau's join dialog
            Jonathan Drummey

Hi Mark,

I've got a few recommendations, these are written assuming that you have very little experience with cross database joins and join calculations:

1) Upgrade to the latest release. Join calculations were effectively "version 1.0" when first released in version 10.2.0 so they are still quite new and have had one or more bugs that have been fixed in newer releases.

2) Validate that you have the basics down for cross database joins and join calculations. Do a cross database join with join calculations on a couple of small Excel files, if you have problems here then stop and get help.

3) Validate that you can get a cross database join to work from the ServiceNow data. Do a cross database join using a text field from your ServiceNow data to an Excel file with known values in each, e.g. if Region is a field in ServiceNow then use Region as the join key with values  that you copied from your ServiceNow database and pasted into Excel. The reason why I suggest a text field is to prevent potential issues with data types.

4) Swap out the field in the Excel file from #2 with a join calculation to validate you can get join calculations on the Excel side, still using a text field.

5) Swap out the field from the ServiceNow table from #2 with a join calculation to validate you can get join calculations on the ServiceNow side, still using a text field.

6) Validate the values in your original Excel file are really numbers (and are whole numbers) and build the cross database join with join calculation.

I'm guessing that you'll find issues at steps 1, 2, and/or 5.

Jonathan

• 18. Re: CROSS JOIN with Tableau's join dialog
              mark.welsh

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for laying out the steps to follow.  Everything works until I get to step 4.  When I change to a join calculation using a text field on either the ServiceNow or Excel side I return 0 records.  The join can be seen below.  Probably confusing because I chose to join on a field called 'Number', but this is actually a text field.

Is my syntax correct in the join calculation?  I am able to join ServiceNow to Excel on the 'Number' field, but it does not work when I change to a join calculation. 

• 19. Re: CROSS JOIN with Tableau's join dialog
                mark.welsh

bumping this guy up.  may have to open a case with support.

• 20. Re: CROSS JOIN with Tableau's join dialog
                  Bill Lyons

You would be much more likely to get responses if you posted this question in the general Forum, which is designed for Q & A. The purpose of Viz Talk is to "Share and discuss interesting data visualizations."

• 21. Re: CROSS JOIN with Tableau's join dialog
                    mark.welsh

If anyone else is trying to do this with ServiceNow, please note that currently Tableau does not support join calculations for ServiceNow, so this method will not work.

1 2 Previous Next