1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 5, 2017 5:39 PM by lei.chen.0

Tableau Server vs Tableau Online vs Tableau Reader

Nipa Madhani

I am working in a small organization and the responsibility to purchase the Tableau Products is on me.

I know the basic difference i.e in Tableau server, It required on premises Windows server or Windows server on Public Cloud (Amazon, Azure)

Tableau Online, Dashboards will be saved on Tableau cloud

Tableau Reader, Need application to view Dashboard always. no security.

My question is what is best option for my organization to view the dashboards and visualizations which I create for them.

Requirements I have :

1. They have different sales person(for example 5 ) responsible to view only their respective region dashboards, also sales manager who will view all the dashboards of all the regions and my manager who will also view different sets of dashboards of revenue and price.

Do I have to buy licence for each individual users. For example, 5 for sales person licence, 1 for Sales Manager and 1 for my manager?

2. Local Database connection to MySQL is required and eventually many be to Google Analytics

3.  Automatic Database refresh is required live or may be at the interval of 30 mins to 1 hr

In these cases, what is the best option tableau server, tableau online or Tableau reader?

I am more concerned on the licence and the user level security.  also, is there any way I can build my dashboard in such way that using one licence only everyone can see all the dashboards. That is dashboard level security.

waiting for your response urgently.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Tableau Server vs Tableau Online vs Tableau Reader
          lei.chen.0

Hello Nipa,

Here is a brief comparison according to your request.

Some of them are case by case, so not be fairly precise.

Assumption:

• Tableau Server is deployed within your company LAN.
          • Your users need to interact with the report, not just viewing static PDF/Image.

ReaderServerOnline
          Request 1One packaged workbook is necessary for each sales person, with a data subset that this person are permitted to viewOne common workbook is necessary for all users. User filter function is used
          Request 2Manual data extract is necessary.Live connection or extract connection, depends on data source and requirementsDirect connection or extract connection, depends on data source and requirements
          Reuqest 3Only manual refreshAuto refresh possible
          Licensefreeby user / by coreby user

As for this one,

is there any way I can build my dashboard in such way that using one licence only everyone can see all the dashboards. That is dashboard level security.

For user-based license model, there's no "everyone".

For core-based license mode, you may use Guest User.

Some links for reference.

Tableau Online Data Connection

Get your Data to Tableau Online

Tableau Online: Keep Data Fresh

Tableau Server Guest User

Guest User

Regards

Lei