1 of 1 people found this helpful
about the first question I don't know but I don't think it's possible.
About the dependencies I found that when you try to delete an object Tableau gives you an advice about what would be modified within that control.
Hope it can help,
wait for someone more expert than me!
Look at this!
Hi Erik. I have used Replace References extensively, and it always updates the references within my calculated fields.
As far as understanding which fields are used where, Andy Cotgreave's TWB auditor is fantastic. I began using it to document my v9.x workbooks, and it is still working through v10.4. More information here:
What desktop version are you using? I must agree with Brent, I always used replace references to update my calculated fields ... The only other way I could see is to edit the twb source code and make the replacement there ...
I have often found myself desperate for a dependencies listing for Parameters and Calculated Fields. Being able to understand if a parameter is actively being referenced, or whether a calculated field is being used on one or ten of my worksheets in a large workbook would be super helpful. This is particularly important for my support of prior work by other developers, and to help others support my own workbooks in the future. I would like to see a contextual menu option to inspect both the sheets and the other calculations dependent upon a parameter or calculated field. I support several workbooks containing 5+ dashboards, each using mutliple datasources, and it is a nightmare dealing with the sprawl of calculated fields (many of which may be deprecated).
Thank you for acknowledging this issue!
I've previously always had success with the "Replace References" functionality. The replacement has worked on all sheets and calculations in my workbook... until this one dashboard that I'm working on today. This is the only post I've been able to find on this extremely frustrating glitch.
I'll likely be submitting a support ticket and will share my findings.
Quick update -- working with support, we identified that the issue has to do with replacing fields that have been renamed from the original data source name. I was able to revert to the original names and make the replacements. It upsets me that this isn't supported and that this limitation isn't communicated. I was replacing a SQL Server data source with an Excel data source, if that matters.
I hope this saves somebody some grief!