1 9 10 11 12 13 Previous Next 217 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2019 2:24 AM by Theo W Go to original post
      • 150. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
        Jill Boland

Hi everyone. I'm following up on Michele's report of a PROJ4 error when loading certain workbooks on Server. We have confirmed that the fix for this issue is available in Tableau Server 10.4 Beta 2 and will ship as part of the final 10.4 release.

- Jill

Tableau Map Team

• 151. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
          varun sahlot

Jim Walseth

Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!

Okay I am trying to achieve this aggregation and show results in a map. Please note Rule ID is a dimension. Sorry if not the question for this post  

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks,

• 152. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
            Matthew Boyd

Hello Kent,

I have a question you may find unique. I was wondering if Tableau has the capability, or plans, to utilize a devises current location to plot or zoom in on a map? Vaguely, I want to publish some analysis embedded into a map that when the user opens the report it will zoom in to a set radius of their location. If you are familiar with how the app "Waze" works this would be similar to that zooming into the users location allowing them to zoom out and pan around and then snap back to the zoom level when untouched for n-seconds.

-Matthew

• 153. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
              Jim Walseth

Hi Matthew,

There exists a 'locate me' button on the map for Server and Online products. See Find your current location on this page "Explore Data in Maps".

Also in that area of the map is the 'pushpin' which takes you back the extent of the data. This is not automatic but it provides something like the 'snap back' you are talking about.

Hope you find this of interest.

Jim

Tableau Maps Team

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 154. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                Jim Walseth

Hello Varun. You will not see a map unless Latitude and Longitude are on the shelves. I am referring to what would see if you drag Country onto the viz, and then drag CNTD(RuleID) onto color.I know this is not what you are trying to do however.  Is it possible to share with me a reduced version of your data (table) with sensitive information removed? I will 'Follow' you. If you then 'Follow' me, you be able to email me.

• 155. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                  varun sahlot

Thanks Jim for getting back on this,

Alright, I want to show these numbers on the map, risk ID is hidden because I only care about the total by country.

But on maps I am only able to achieve below, but the numbers are not what I want as you can see the difference, like aggregation on the above pic. 

would appreciate if I can see the numbers from the first pic on the maps

attached is the tableau file with sample data.

• 156. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                    Jim Walseth

Hi Varun,

I don't seem to have any attachment from you, but I created a small text file that I think represents your data. Can you explain what you mean by RiskID is hidden? Normally hidden fields cannot be used at all.

Are you trying to map a Distinct Count for the combination RuleID + RiskID? I am trying to understand what the number '47' represents for China. I am thinking a calculated field may be the answer here.

Jim

• 157. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                      Scott Cooke

Hello,

I have three KML files, all with municipal polygons for BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan (I have attached the AB and SASK KML files). I am trying to create a drill down map from my Canada map to each of these provinces depending on which Province I click on on the Canada map.

On my main Canada map, I just use a provinces field to parse my data to proper province. I set up an action on this dashboard to move to my provinces dashboard on a menu click. The action works properly, but I cannot get the second map to filter to only the clicked province. It just goes to my second dashboard and displays all the provincial data for BC, AB and SASK. I understand this may not make a lot of sense, however, due to the data in my file, I cannot share my workbook at this point.

Canada Map.JPG

Each province is separate and dynamic. When I click on one, Alberta, say, I want to drill in and filter to just see my Alberta municipality map. Same with BC and SASK when I click on them.

Does anyone have any ideas?

• 158. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                        Sarah Battersby

Hi Scott -

I wasn't able to open your Saskatchewan KML file, so I grabbed a few datasets from the Open Canada web site to make a demo (Canadian Geographic Names point datasets for SK and AB).

In the demo file that I've attached, if you click on Alberta or Saskatchewan in the All Canada map, it'll jump to the AB and SK CGN sheet and show just the data for the right province.  This just needs a field that matches up with the name of the province clicked on in the All Canada map.

Let me know if I've misinterpreted your question and this isn't doing what you need it to do.  If so, could you check your Saskatchwan KML file and re-attach it so that I can open it directly in Tableau?

-Sarah

Tableau Research

• 159. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                          Scott Cooke

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the reply. That is kind of what I am looking for, but my problem is, I don't have the spatial data all in one file as I could not find it from one source. I don't know how you combined all the data into one shape file. I made a demo workbook of what my data looks like. I can get it to work with two provinces using dual axis as I have done in this workbook, but I cannot dual axis more than 2 maps.

My other issue, that you seem to have done, is I cannot make it zoom to the correct size and view when I select the province. I have tried to set up the actions between dashboards, but maybe this is not the ideal way? Can you make it work in one dashboard?

Note: I know that the BC shape file is incomplete, I am still working on adding all the names in. I just sent it so you could get an idea.

Thanks for your help.

• 160. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                            varun sahlot

Hi Jim - Firstly, it's weird that you cannot see the tableau file I attached with my previous reply, and if you attached a text file like you said in your reply I cannot see that either in your reply. But let me share excerpt of my data here.

So I want to show the unique count of rule ID within a risk ID by country. for example as per the screenshot united states has two risk IDs ZF074 (has two unique rules IDs) and ZF075(one unique rule ID) so if I sum the distinct rule IDs within a a risk I get ZF074 count = 2 and ZF075 count  = 1 and total 3 for united states. But I don't want to show risk IDs in the  worksheet only by country so I go and hide each risk ID row manually but its calculation is still shown in the worksheet because I sum the all risk ID count on country level.

Does it help.

• 161. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                              Sarah Battersby

Hi Scott,

I suggest not trying to do this with a dual axis map - it adds a lot more complexity to the problem.  Or, at least it would be more complex than unioning together your KML files.  If you can open your KML files in QGIS (free, open source GIS), you should be able to merge them together - or, at least convert them to shapefiles (add to QGIS, right click and save as... and select shapefile as the output format) and then merge the shapefiles together.   There may be other ways to combine KML files, but this is my general go-to for merging any spatial files. 

Here is a quick tutorial on merging shapefiles in QGIS: Merge Shapefiles - QGIS - LibGuides at Duke University

Once you have a single spatial file with all of your detailed province data, you just add all of the geometry to the 'detail' worksheet, and then set up the action on your map of all of the provinces.  The action is easy to set up (like I did in my demo file), and so long as you can match the name or ID of the province selected in the all province map, it should filter to just that province in the second map.

For the zooming to correct size, make sure that the map is set to zoom to extent, instead of maintaining a 'pinned' or fixed extent.  That is adjustable in the map view toolbar. 

-Sarah.

Tableau Research

• 162. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                                Jim Walseth

I created a Calculated Field that simply combines RiskID and RuleID and I believe the Count Distinct of that gives what you want

Capture.PNG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 163. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                                  varun sahlot

Thanks Jim, it solved the puzzle.

• 164. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                                    Benjamin bueder

Hello,

Tableau get map from openstreet map by default. Could someone tell me what is the link of these map and how to get it? It is possible to use map from google instead?

Thanks a lot for your answer

1 9 10 11 12 13 Previous Next