1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 10, 2017 2:13 PM by Patrick Van Der Hyde

original data set, twb, twbx, live and extract, what is saved to server

gene shackman

Question, I had thought that twbx was a packaged workbook, meaning a workbook that contained the data set. If I exported a packaged workbook, and published that to a tableau server, or the server section dedicated to tableau, then I got a single file that had the visualizations and the data. On the other hand, if I publish a twb file to a tableau server, then I'd get one file that had the visualizations and another file that had the data. Is that correct? Or am I misunderstanding.

Then I'm confused about the "connection". If I click on the data source tab, on the upper right, the connection can be either live or extract. What exactly do those connection options mean.

My basic question is this: if I have to make changes to the original data set, and if I set my twbx file to "live" connection, then is this twbx file connected to the original data set, and so will reflect changes to the original data set? Then if I publish this twbx file to a tableau server, what exactly gets published? One file that contains both the visualizations and the data?

So what is the twbx file with connection to extract? Why use that?

Just a little more. When I open my twbx file, and look at the data source tab and then open edit connections, I get this

C:\Users\gxs03\AppData\Local\Temp\TableauTemp\4275175840\Data\Output

But that isn't where I saved my original data set. I have to repoint the connections back to where I saved my original data set. What is this temp directory?

Thanks