1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2018 4:02 PM by Ken Flerlage

NPS Score Via Donut Chart

Rajeev Pandey

Hi Team,

I wanted to show NPS score as per the below image. We received the requirement where we need to replicate the below chart . There is one tool called Qualtrics which generated semi donut Chart . As this is a migration project so we have to show the same chart because senior leadership is using this chart in their presentation. Could you please help me in achieving the same.

Below is the formula for calculating the NPS

I tried from my end and was able to achieve the below chart (have written a blog post as well - (TableauLearners - TableauLearners ).

Can anyone help me ? You can use any sample data.

• 1. Re: NPS Score Via Donut Chart
          Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Rajeev,

I tried same with measure name and measure values.

Please refer

Half Circle Pie Chart

Thanks

sankar

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: NPS Score Via Donut Chart
            Rajeev Pandey

Thanks Shankar for your Response. Really appreciate

I think you prepared it with Tableau 10.3 version. My organization is still using Tableau 10.2 so could you please upload the an image as well. It would be great if you can upload the final output

• 3. Re: NPS Score Via Donut Chart
              Rajeev Pandey

Hi Shankar,

Thanks for approach .Really enjoyed the simple way of creating the Semi donut chart.

But as I said I need to create a below chart ,Can you please help me in achieving the same

• 4. Re: NPS Score Via Donut Chart
                Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Rajeev,

I tried the same but it is not coming proper way..

Once done then i ll share.

Thanks

sanlkar

• 5. Re: NPS Score Via Donut Chart
                  Rajeev Pandey

Thanks Shankar for all the help.Will wait for your Response.

Simon Runc :Sir would you please have a look. I think you created something like that an year ago but couldnt able to find the exact thread . Could you please point me to that thread

• 6. Re: NPS Score Via Donut Chart
                    Simon Runc

hi Rajeev,

Back from my hols!...So I don't recall solving this problem before (I've answered many many questions, so more than likely I have and forgotten about it!)

However it is an interesting challenge!

So the issue is that Tableau always starts a pie from zero degrees. Rather than use your data, I've dummied up some raw NPS score data...like the below

So first I created a dimension to put the scores in Promoter, Passive, Detractor...and then created separate fields to count each of them...

[Detractor Count]

IIF([Score Category] = 'Detractor', 1,NULL)

and so on

I then also created a Total count (this will be our white area).

[User Count]

{SUM([Number of Records])}

As the total will be half of the addition of the other 3 it will be dynamic.

Now the other trick was to split the Passives on either side of zero degrees. So i created this field

[Passives Count Half]

SUM(IIF([Score Category] = 'Passives', 1,NULL))

/

and then a duplicate it of it

I then bring all these fields onto the pie, and colour accordingly (in the attached I coloured the 2 Half Passive ones differently, so you can see how it works, but in your final version they would be coloured the same. I've also made the total light gray, this will be white in the final version)

Hope that makes sense, and does the trick

• 7. Re: NPS Score Via Donut Chart
                      Toan Hoang

Here you go:

Capture.PNG

Click the link here: Tableau Public

• 8. Re: NPS Score Via Donut Chart
                        Ken Flerlage

Looks like you have some options to choose from Rajeev. I'll add my approach. Basically, I'm doing a donut chart where the bottom half is the same as the background color. As Simon noted, the difficulty is the fact that Tableau pies always start at zero degrees. My approach was to create 5 slices in the chart:

Slice 1 - Slice starting at 0° and ending between 0° and 90°. This will be colored if the NPS is greater than 0.

Slice 2 - Slice starting and ending somewhere between 0° and 90°, after slice 1. Will always be grey.

Slice 3 - Hidden slice starting at 90° and ending at 270°. This will always be the background color.

Slice 4 - Slice starting at 270° and ending between 270° and 360°. This will be colored based on the NPS.

Slice 5 - Slice starting and ending somewhere between 270° and 360°, after slice 4. Will always be grey.

The data set is basically just 5 rows for each slice, with no measures. The measures are calculated within Tableau.

You can find the spreadsheet data set here: Amazon Drive

You can find the Tableau workbook here: Workbook: NPS Gauge Chart

• 9. Re: NPS Score Via Donut Chart
                          Rajeev Pandey

in the attached I coloured the 2 Half Passive ones differently, so you can see how it works, but in your final version they would be coloured the same. I've also made the total light gray, this will be white in the final version)

--------

Color of the Outer circle should change as per the inner circle. We need only two colors NPS Color as per the lower inner circle and Gray color

As we know NPS

(Number of Promoters — Number of Detractors) / (Number of Respondents) x 100

Example: If you received 100 responses to your survey:

10 responses were in the 0–6 range (Detractors)

20 responses were in the 7–8 range (Passives)

70 responses were in the 9–10 range (Promoters)

When you calculate the percentages for each group, you get 10%, 20%, and 70% respectively.

To finish up, subtract 10% (Detractors) from 70% (Promoters), which equals 60%. Since an example Net Promoter Score is always shown as just an integer and not a percentage, your NPS is simply 60. (And yes, you can have a negative NPS, as your score can range from -100 to +100.)

Thank you so much for your time and efforts. I think its almost done (90%).Really liked Counting detractor approach which you used here .Thanks a lot for teaching me this approach.

But what I am not able to understand here ,how to represent the Negative NPS score (NPS Score is ranging from -100 to 100)  when we are counting the value as per your calculation .My organization is generating this chart Via qualtrics App now we need to replicate the same via Tableau.I am still not able to replicate the same.

In my case , How I will ask tableau to display the Negative value in 2nd quadrant. We need to use Parameter for that right?

As you can see in the below image, when upper circle touches lower yellow semi circle , it changes the color as well. Same is happening for maroon one.

Would it be possible to represent the same chart in tableau. We just need two colors only . Hope this make sense

Mr . ken also created a same chart and achieved most of it (But I am not able to download his workbook. Not Sure how he calculated the NPS score  .In addition to that this workbook is missing the inner circle . Do we need to calculate or do we need to use the PNG image  )

Workbook: NPS Gauge Chart

• 10. Re: NPS Score Via Donut Chart
                            Rajeev Pandey

Thank you so much Toan for all your help and support.

But this is not what My requirement is? As per your data ,you divided the upper pie into two parts (lets take an example KPI 1 - 0.6 and 0.4) .Basically it should calculate the value dynamically and change the color according. We may get some distractor value which is Negative like 63.8 it should show in 2nd quadrant but currently its not happening. Would you please take a look again.

NPS

• 11. Re: NPS Score Via Donut Chart
                              Rajeev Pandey

Hi Ken,

You are almost done but unfortunately I m not able to download your workbook .Getting an error as below

what you Achieved successfully  :

1) Score is showing as per my expected output - (Is it calculating dynamically , if so how ? Are you also using the Simon Approach)

2) Color is changing automatically - This is exactly what I needed

Yet to achieve:

Inner circle with 3 color variation and outer circle will change color as per the lower inner circle color ranges.

• 12. Re: NPS Score Via Donut Chart
                                Simon Runc

hi Rajeev,

So looks like Ken has got the outer part (btw I've attached his version in 10.2...I got intrigued what he's done so wanted to reverse engineer it anyway!), and I've done the other part. Although Ken has used a parameter, this value could be calculated (and thus dynamic). I'll have a think about how we can combine them into a single sheet, but might need a bit of a particular data structure (if it's possible at all)...

One sure way is to do them is a single sheet "draw" the shapes using Polygons (as Toan has done....btw, very impressive @toan.hoang). I'd need to look into it a bit more, but pretty sure this one could use data to drive the polygons.

Of course if we had transparent sheets, we could just float ken's over mine! (here's the idea if you haven't voted it up...https://community.tableau.com/ideas/6109 )

• 13. Re: NPS Score Via Donut Chart
                                  Ken Flerlage

Yes, we need transparent sheets!!

• 14. Re: NPS Score Via Donut Chart
                                    Ken Flerlage

I documented my approach on my blog. There definitely could be a more elegant approach, but this works.

Creating NPS Gauges in Tableau - Ken Flerlage: Analytics Architecture, Strategy, & Visualization

Heading.png

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                    1 2 Previous Next