1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2017 2:17 PM by Sarah Battersby Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Beginner mapping questions - census visualizations and data overlay
        Parv Aggarwal

Hi Sarah Battersby -

So I followed your blogpost and saw that the last section (Spatial file + CSV) was the relevant one (apparently you used my data ha!)... I am trying to replicate your outer join with "0=1" but tableau isn't allowing me to do that (see workbook and error attached) - any idea why? [*edit: tech support said that is a known issue and directed me to the page for steps to resolve so can discard*]

- Assuming I'm able to resolve this soon and get the branch locations dual axis to show, to clarify my next step, as I want to add membership location data on top of the shapefile polygons, which are currently just zip codes, which section of your blogpost would apply to that? I'm wondering since while tableau recognizes zip codes, the lat/longs to plot them would be "generated" and from your blogpost intro it seems that would be hard to join to the non-generated shapefile csv?

- Alternatively, I could try to geocode the membership data (lat/longs from addresses) , but that tends to freeze up the census geocoder and I'd rather work with just zips if possible...

Sincerely

Parv

• 16. Re: Beginner mapping questions - census visualizations and data overlay
          Sarah Battersby

Hi Parv,

Sorry for being slow in reply - I've been out of the office for most of the last two weeks. 

For making a viz with the zip codes and membership locations together, probably the easiest thing to do would be to take your membership locations dataset (I'm assuming these are all points with latitude and longitude coordinates) and turn it into a shapefile.  You can use QGIS to do this quite easily (add the CSV with lat and lon; draw the points; export as shapefile).  Here is a helpfile that I found that shows the general process: Adding Points w/.CSV - QGIS Training - LibGuides at Michigan State University Libraries

Once you have your points as a shapefile, Tableau will make a generated latitude and longitude measure so you can easily make the dual axis map with the zip codes and the shapefile points. 

Would that work in your workflow?

-Sarah.

1 2 Previous Next