9 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2017 2:25 AM by Tushar More

How to Display Top 10 Emerging Markets

Larsen Rennie

Capture2.PNGHello All

I am facing one issue in which I have 4 years (2014  to 2017). Now the scenario is that we are trying to find out how many times a person has travelled to those location. So we are trying to find out the year over year percentage growth for those emerging location. But I want to display the top 10 emerging location based on YOY percentage which I have calculated. SO I am not getting how we can achive this. If Possible can somebody attach a similar kind of twbs files with the solution

Thanks

Larsen

• 1. Re: How to Display Top 10 Emerging Markets
          Andrej Schmelzer

Hello Larsen,

could you clarify your question a bit more?
          As stated, you would be looking for the year over year growth on the level of individual persons (which could be done with a level of detail expression), but this would be a pretty unusual metric.

A more straight forward Year to Year percentage growth can be done via table calculations (percentage of calculated along the previous year), you can then simply define a Set of the Top .
          To do this, right click on your locations, choose "create Set", switch to the "conditions" and put in Top 10 based on the table calc you are using.

There are also different non set approaches referenced for example here:
          Re: How to create Top 5 and Bottom 5 values with respect to a Measure in Bar graph in same worksheet

• 2. Re: How to Display Top 10 Emerging Markets
            Larsen Rennie

Hello Andrej

I want  to display  top 10 Emerging travel Cities (one those had the highest increase in visitor footfalls over the previous years). I had tried that and attached the image above . But I am not sure which visual and what logic is best suited to fulfill this requirement. If you have any alternative can u suggest

and also can I also identify bases on those 4 years as whole which one is the emerging travel cities where the percentage growth has been increased over the years

Larsen

• 3. Re: How to Display Top 10 Emerging Markets
              Andrej Schmelzer

Hello Larsen,

Your requirement should be fullfilled by simply creating a set on your cityname dimension. You do this by right clicking on  your city name dimension, selecting "create", selecting "set", choosing "Top" and taking the Top 10 of this measure.

Concerning visualisations, the most straight forward way is a simple, perhaps an attenuated table.
              A more interesting visualisation is if you do this on a map.

Does this help?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to Display Top 10 Emerging Markets
                Tushar  More

Hi Larsen,

It's quite hard to replicate your scenario without the sample data. However, I tried using the sample superstore data set.

I create a rank calculation based on YoY calc.

Drop the this calc to filters and set the compute using as city/state. Limit the range to 1 to 5.

This my final view:

As the states are not common so it's showing more than 5 states in the view. But if you notice carefully it is giving you only top 5 in each year.

Hope this helps.

~Tushar

• 5. Re: How to Display Top 10 Emerging Markets
                  Larsen Rennie

Hi

I have changed the scenario. Now I have to compare two years in terms of YOY which is 2015 and 2016 . Now I have calculated the YOY growth and its giving result like this below

Visited City  2015   2016

Mexico                    78%

Cairo                      200%

London                    98%

San Diego             237%

Morocco                400%

Now the problem is I want them to be sorted in Descending order and display only the Top 10 which is not happening in my case

Can you suggest the solution because I tried the rank method as we do not want our output like that

I am attaching the image of the Tableau worksheet where I have done this but I am not able to sort them and display the top 10 . For example take the above data  and the visited city which has more percentage it should display at the Top

I don't know why this simple thing is not being solved in Tableau

Regards

Larsen

• 6. Re: How to Display Top 10 Emerging Markets
                    Larsen Rennie

Hi

I have changed the scenario. Now I have to compare two years in terms of YOY which is 2015 and 2016 . Now I have calculated the YOY growth and its giving result like this below

Visited City  2015   2016

Mexico                    78%

Cairo                      200%

London                    98%

San Diego             237%

Morocco                400%

Now the problem is I want them to be sorted in Descending order and display only the Top 10 which is not happening in my case

Can you suggest the solution because I tried the rank method as we do not want our output like that

I am attaching the image of the Tableau worksheet where I have done this but I am not able to sort them and display the top 10 . For example take the above data  and the visited city which has more percentage it should display at the Top

I don't know why this simple thing is not being solved in Tableau

Regards

Larsen

• 7. Re: How to Display Top 10 Emerging Markets
                      Tushar  More

Here is my approach:

To sort the data select the individual year column and select sort using tooltip.

~Tushar

• 8. Re: How to Display Top 10 Emerging Markets
                        Larsen Rennie

Hi Tushar

i am able to do the sorting based on descending option from the Tooltip. Now the only problem is the TOP 10 . I have used Calculation 1 which u have used and put that into the filter shelf. but that is not is our requirement. We want to display the top 10 . Attaching the image so that u can get idea what i am trying to achieve

i am attaching two images one is the Current view which i have and other one is the Expected  view(this one i have manually hidden all the cities except the top 10 but it is not dynamic ) So looking for some way which should automatically select the top 10  and gives the output Current View.PNGExpected View.PNG(which is showing in required view image)

Regards

Larsen

• 9. Re: How to Display Top 10 Emerging Markets
                          Tushar  More

If you could share this twxb file, I will be able to figure out what's not working. Meanwhile, try creating a Top 10 set based on Yoy, or try adding the order date field to Context.

~Tushar