Hi Jessica, I don't have the time to really understand what your issue is right now (sorry) but now that it is 20+ days old I fear it might get lost, so I'm bumping it.
I am having the same issue. The chart displays when connected to the live database, but when I extract using NO filters so the entire database is extracted, it disappears. The other 3 charts in the Tableau workbook display correctly.
While troubleshooting, I saved to a new file, extracted, saved, and rebuilt the chart on a new sheet. It displays fine using the same fields as the old chart; HOWEVER, now it disappears when I go back to the live connection AND another chart that was previously displaying correctly with both the extract and the live database now disappears when connected to the live database.
Does anyone have any insight?
I am having the same issue as my chart disappears as I switch to extracts? has anyone found a solution for this? Thanks M
I am experiencing this as well. I've extracted from live database successfully before, so i'm not sure why thi sis happening now.
It probably could happens with filters that shows no data. Guys, you better check up your filters.
I'm experiencing the same thing. My data source has 13000 records. When I connect live I see 13000 records. I extract the data and suddenly I only have 7 records.
Did you find a solution to this?
I had the same problem in Tableau 10.1 in Windows, and was able to isolate the issue in my case, which appeared to be tied to... data type conversions when creating an Extract? How DATE() functions or calculated fields are handled when creating an Extract? Not positive what the root issue is, but hopefully this helps some others.
- I was connecting live to SQL Server. Everything was great.
- When I changed from Live to Extract, certain data disappeared - it appeared to be tied to calculated fields, such as CY Values:
- In the data source [Cche Report Year] is stored as a string.
- I built the parameter [Choose Report Year] from the [Cche Report Year] field, so the parameter is a string is as well.
- Change data type of [Cche Report Year] field to date
- Right-click on data source and refresh Extract
- Edit parameter and re-assign values using the "new" [Cche Report Year] field, which is now a date and no longer a string
- Remove the DATE() function in the [CY Values] calculated field since the values no longer need to be converted to dates
- I did this after making the initial extract (i.e. when there was a problem), but doing it Live and then building the Extract after the data type changes worked too.
Let me know if you have follow up questions, or if this helps you figure out your situation when dates are not involved. Cheers!
This may be late or wrong, and I wonder why Tableau Support hasn't offered any solutions--in any case when I had a similar situation I was told to refresh the extract. Tableau has a complicated routine by which it decides what info to cache and display, and sometimes that doesn't jibe with the latest data in an extract.
I found the same bug. When I refreshed my extract, the whole worksheet went blank and I could only see Filter headers. I resolved this with below steps. If you have the same issue, I believe one of the main reasons can be because of the data type of the calculated fields we create.
Step 1: Go to Data Source and make the connection as Live. You might get an error message but ignore it by pressing OK.
Now when I go back to the worksheet, I can see the filters but still my worksheet is blank.
Step 2: I now want to see if the error is because of the calculated fields. I have a calculated field in the Dimensions with data type as string. I changed this data type to int.
Now, I can see the whole worksheet.
Step 3: I went to Data Source page and made the connection to Extract.
Step 4: I went to worksheet and created the extract now.
I now converted the calculated filed back to string.
Hope this helps someone.
I have very similar issue , my chart only appears when I click refresh button ? is it a cache issue ? when I restored the workbook to an older version it seems to be working. No change between the current (non working) workbook and old (working ) workbook
1 of 1 people found this helpful
I realize that it has been quite a while, but I don't see an answer here that worked for me, but I did eventually find one.
Tableau 10.4.x for Windows
MS SQL Server
As others suggested, the problem was with a calculated field. I was calculating a date field from a string field. When converting to an extract the values no longer were populated, which caused the visualization to not render.
The solution that I found was to convert from using the DATE() function to using the DATEPARSE function. Tableau documentation states that this function can't be used on SQL Server, but can when using a Tableau extract. This discrepancy seems to be key to why many people here experience this problem when using SQL Server.
The solution I found was:
Convert to Extract (viz will fail)
Now that you can use DATEPARSE(), change any DATE() functions to use DATEPARSE()
The only complication I experienced was the built in documentation was not clear that the parse format was for the database format not the output format. Refer to the web documentation for better description of use.
Hope this helps someone else.