4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2017 11:43 AM by mark schukas

excel workbooks as data sources...

mark schukas

I have 17 different worksheets in 17 xlsx files...

the Dashboard works fine, but I wonder what the optimal way of handling these Excel files is (put in DBS prior, combine to one xlsx file, etc.)

??

thank you.

• 1. Re: excel workbooks as data sources...

Hi Mark,

I'm wondering if you've already seen the thread below? There is a lot of good discussion with multiple options mentioned. Please skim through this and reply here if you don't find a solution that works well for you. Also, let us know what version you are using since 10.0 introduced more capabilities for this.

How to bring multiple Excel files into Tableau as one connection?

Thanks for using Tableau!

Angie

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: excel workbooks as data sources...
            mark schukas

thank you.

OK...in my situation, I was wondering if I should keep the xlsx separate (they are all different tables - no joins), or put them into one xlsx (multiple sheets) or put into DBS and then connect as data source, or...?

thank you.

• 3. Re: excel workbooks as data sources...
              Kaz Shakir

Mark,

It seems like that choice is really up to you - probably works fine no matter what path you follow.  My preference would be to make each sheet into a table in a database, and then use tableau to connect to the database.  But there are many more questions you should consider first: for example, how will the data be updated going forward? If it get's updated in excel, and then you have to manually transfer the data to a database each time, then that's not a very good choice.  You really want to try and minimize the amount of human interaction that's involved - because the human interaction, the more chance for errors to be introduced into the data.

Kaz.

• 4. Re: excel workbooks as data sources...
                mark schukas

thank you...

just checking.

e.g., from my experience, I have had more positive success making data sources from SQL Server than Salesforce directly...(I have more control in the SQL writing)...

thank you.