3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2017 8:13 AM by Mithil Mangalore

KPI Arrows Up/Down

Vinay Seeruthun

Hi All,

I'm trying to add colored up down arrows on a report in Tableau 10. I've tried searching various forums and the internet and have managed to create the below.

I used three calculated fields two to determine the year sales and then a third to determine whether one was bigger than the other and give it a label "up" and "down"

The last step is to show the up down ad green and red arrows, which should be the simplest part!

Capture.JPG

I'm working with sensitive data so can't really create a packaged workbook. Is anyone able to provide me instructions on how I can achieve the last part.

Thanks

V

• 1. Re: KPI Arrows Up/Down
          Mithil Mangalore

Hi Vinay,

Check this one posted today: Flag arrows

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Mithil

• 2. Re: KPI Arrows Up/Down
            Vinay Seeruthun

Hi Mithil,

Thanks for the link, It was a little helpful. However, I am unable to open the workbook as it says it was created in a newer version.

I'm using Tableau 10.0.5.

In addition, it looks like I will be facing similar issues. I only want the UP/DOWN arrows on a single column not for all measure values.

Is this even possible?

Thanks

V

• 3. Re: KPI Arrows Up/Down
              Mithil Mangalore

Hi Vinay,

Here is the idea:
              So you already have the arrow field which uses a formula to govern whether it should be an up arrow or a down arrow. You have the other field which is the actual measure. You can create a third field  by concatenating these two. Something like:

[arrow] + STR([measure_field])

You can then add this to the columns. The only drawback here would be that the field would not be a measure. But I suppose this should not be a problem. Let me know if you have questions.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Mithil