It sounds like you've done some good investigation so far, though I'm not clear on all your points and your server environment.
1. If you try running a temporary copy of Tableau Desktop on the server, then is performance good? Is this what #3 is?
2. What does your RAM, network, firewall rules look like? Are you sure this is not a bottleneck?
3. How many dimensions and measures is within your data model? Also, how many rows are you trying to return, is it aggregate?
If none of the above three are of any concern, and desktop is slow connecting to SQL Server, then I would then have a look at the desktop logs to see if this unveils more of the story.
thanks for the reply.
To answer your questions:
1. I tried downloading a trial version to another twin server with the same same spec (I wanted to reproduce the issues without getting in the way of our ops team) - but it just didn't reproduce there.
I made sure to use the same Tableau verison, same server spec and same workbook.
2. Firewall is disabled, RAM and cpu usage are good (1% cpu , 23% RAM usage at pick when the process is stuck).
3. I would say I have about 10 joined tables , with around 100 dimensions + measures, but very few rows. (The master table might have ~100 rows , and the joins are small as well , mostly inner joins with 1 to 1 relations).
Looking at the logs is a good option, thanks for the suggestion. I will have a look and update what I discover.
So when you run the SQL within a SQL edittor, then does it work? And are you using custom SQL?
In terms of looking at logs, one suggestions is to clear out all the desktop logs first while desktop is closed. Then run your viz. And then look at the logs, it permits much smaller logs and a lot less to have to wade through.
Added part of the log file as well, couldn't find the smoking gun,
but hopefully it can give some clues to the root cause of the issue.
The SQL query (not custom SQL) runs very fast , no problem there
Totally confused here. Is this a Tableau Server issue or a Tableau Desktop issue?
is there any whitelisting or resource queue issues with SQL Server? Sometimes we run into issues with our Greenplum database where it has a resource queue and can is the query has to wait to connect until there's an available slot...
Not that I'm aware of. It is a very powerful production machine and it supports far more complicated queries.
Sorry,It's Tableau Desktop 10.1.5. corrected the question.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Make sure the driver is of the same version as the MS SQL db. I know in the past that even having a newer version of the driver, going against a lesser version of the db, would sometimes have issues. Test that scenario.
Toby, thanks a lot , your suggestion got me very close to the real problem.
It seems there was a trace running on the ODBC driver that caused the LONG delay ,
once I disabled it performance really boosted.
Yeay, glad I was of some help and you got it fixed. Good to know about the trace, thanks for letting us know...I didn't know there was such a thing but it's one of those tidbits of knowledge I can spit out next time