7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2018 7:24 AM by Joe Oppelt

Why we ask for a workbook, and WHY I ASK FOR YOUR TABLEAU VERSION!!

Joe Oppelt

Far too often people ask "how-can-I-do-this" questions, and invariably they get a response asking for a sample workbook.

Many "how-do-I-do-it" answers depend conditions in the sheet you are making.  Example:  If the data you are trying to manipulate is obtained through an aggregate calc (SUM, AVG, etc.), the calc that uses that data will have to treat it differently from data that resides at the row level.  Seeing your setup avoids more cycles of "that-didn't-work" when a solution is offered.  Also, I can do the calc first-hand in your sample workbook and straighten out syntax errors or aggregate/non-aggregate mismatches.

Help us help you.  Always upload a sample workbook.  Just do it.

And if you are concerned about proprietary data, you can anonymize your data and pare down the sheet you are working on.  Check out this link to see a simple way to anonymize your data:  Anonymize your Tableau Package Data for Sharing

And why do I want your tableau version?

I will likely make changes to your workbook.  If you don't tell me your version, I just open it up with the latest.  If you are on a lower version, Tableau will upgrade your workbook to my version.  If you're using an older version (which the upgrade indicates) and if I make the changes in the latest, you will not be able to see the changes.

But I am here to help you.  And I know you won't be able to see my changes in the latest version.  So I save your workbook to my desktop, and then I try opening it in older versions.   If the version I pick is older than yours, I get an error, and try again.   If you tell me your version, you save me the trouble of testing out which version you are on.

Help me to help you.  I want to help you if I can.  Don't start me out with a level of frustration trying to guess what version you are on.