11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2016 10:33 AM by jill.carlsen

Latest rendition of on-line manuals are a step backwards

Toby Erkson

I just ran into this.  Smaller screen, searching for some content and two things just leap out at me like a boogy-man from under my bed:

!  "Other articles in this section:" box covers up content!  You scroll, content whizes by, @#$!! box stays put and blocks the view   It's a better door than window!

?  No horizontal scroll bars?  Huh?

The other complaints I have:

• The elimination of a real Table of Contents like what was found in prior renditions.  This new version actually slows me down and I can't easily jump from one topic to another.
      • ?Highlight= no longer works

What I know and love:

Please bring back the original on-line style!

• 1. Re: Latest rendition of on-line manuals are a step backwards
          Shawn Wallwork

That must be a Foxfire thing. I can't reproduce your screenshot in Chrome:

The box is suppose to be off to the right and remains stationary as I scroll. When I zoom in (ctrl-scroll wheel) at a certain level the Other Articles box disappear, and all the text in the table wraps appropriately, so there's no need for a horizontal scroll bar:

As far and the highlighting goes, they are now bolding the search term instead of yellow highlighting. I find this an improvement as it is much less distracting, and easier to read:

FYI: These changes haven't come to the Desktop manual, yet.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Latest rendition of on-line manuals are a step backwards
            Toby Erkson

I get the same poor results in IE.  Chrome appears to be the best browser at this time for reading the user manuals, however, it is not an option for me and people in the company I work for.  So this is failing in 2 of the 3 major browsers!

Your highlight example is incorrect because you are viewing two separate things (listing of search results vs. individual page view from the search results).  Use this URL in Chrome and you will see that there is no highlighting of any kind, neither by highlighter nor bold text*:

Set Users’ Site Roles

So that is a loss for all browsers.

I liked the highlighter when it came to multiple search terms because each search term was a different color and thus allowed me to quickly find (or not find) the items I was looking for.

Highlighting, TOC, and horizontal scroll bars aside, this new format is still awful.  Is it new?  Yes.  Is it fancy?  Yes.  Is it quick AND easy?  No.

*While in Chrome, perform a search (Ctrl + f) and the highlighted results on the screen are what I'm looking for and find very helpful.

• 3. Re: Latest rendition of on-line manuals are a step backwards
              Shawn Wallwork

Tableau Community sounds to me Toby is mad enough about this that the manager of the online help should be made aware of this discussion.

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Latest rendition of on-line manuals are a step backwards
                Shawn Wallwork

Just out of curiosity, what is the thinking within your company, the reason for outlawing Chrome? Considering the market share:

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 5. Re: Latest rendition of on-line manuals are a step backwards
                  Toby Erkson

Valid question

Our parent company is German-owned, employing over 280K world-wide, and like most large corporations can't turn on a dime.  There are standards that typically need to be followed company-wide and things are built around those standards.  Chrome may have been #1 in 2016 but it wasn't that way in prior years and there's no guarantee it will remain that way and become a "standard" like Microsoft was for many years (years ago...).

Since I have the uncommon status of "developer" I have administrative rights on my computer so I can install software; the vast majority of the company doesn't have this luxury   So while I can test things in Chrome I am not willing to switch AGAIN to a different browser just to accommodate an unnecessarily changed portion of a web site, particularly just because the browser happens to be the top one at the moment.

And again, 2 out of 3 browsers failed.  I call that rather poor.

• 6. Re: Latest rendition of on-line manuals are a step backwards
                    Toby Erkson

Just did some quick testing on an iPad using Safari.  Everything works as expected in the "old" user manual format but fails just like Firefox & IE in the "new" format.  So 3 out of 4 browsers fail with the "new" format

In Safari the "new" TOC appears at the bottom of the page.

• 7. Re: Latest rendition of on-line manuals are a step backwards
                      Tracy Rodgers

Thanks for the call out Shawn, and thanks for bringing this to our attention, Toby. I'm sending this over to our Documentation team right now!

• 8. Re: Latest rendition of on-line manuals are a step backwards
                        jill.carlsen

Hi Toby,

I'm one of the documentation writers for the help that you're not having the best time with. Thanks to Tracy for forwarding your post, and I'm sorry this updated format isn't working for you. Before I address the points you brought up, I'll let you know that we are listening to feedback and making adjustments based on it. We also have a post on the Tableau Support Blog that explains the changes, which you can read here: Tableau Server 10.1 and Updates to the Online Help.

Regarding the overall change, specifically, moving the contents list (TOC) to the menus at the top and relative links at the side, for version 10.2 we've made another navigation change that displays a list of topics in a section. Here's an example of this: Install & Configure section.

Again, we are monitoring feedback closely and doing what we can to address it. And not to be missed is a thank you for using our help!

Now for the actual "bugs" you're seeing. We took a look at that tabadmin topic in your screen shot, and it's looking like Chrome is allowing the text in the left-most column to wrap (honoring the column-width percentage that's set on the column), but the other browsers are not. I speculate that in the other browsers it's because they see that there are no breaks in the text in that column, and in those browsers keeping the text from wrapping is more important than the column-width setting. Again, just speculating. Whatever the reason, we are seeing the issue, too, and we've logged a bug to work out a solution. This is what's causing the table to extend past the right boundary, which makes the "other articles" widget cover the table, and also manifesting the horizontal scrollbar issue. As someone else observed, the scrollbar shouldn't be needed if the CSS settings are working as they should.

A question for you is whether you've seen this in other topics as well? We've found one more that's similar, but if there's another out there that doesn't fit the explanation and speculation I just gave, we'd love to know.

We'll look into the highlight issue, too. I hadn't noticed that myself, and we didn't intentionally remove it, but I think I know how we can bring it back. Maybe it can be in less conspicuous colors so we can find a middle ground between those who like it and those who find it distracting.

A last minor point for anyone reading is that the "other articles" widget actually moves to the bottom of the screen when your browser width is small enough. In some of the longer topics, it might indeed look as if it's disappeared. If you are scrolling all the way down and still not seeing it (but do see it when the screen is wider), let us know!

Oh, and a last-last point is that, again for anyone reading, please do send feedback any time -- either in the forums or by using our feedback widget on the help topics. The latter is anonymous unless you include your info in the comment.

Let me know if I'm missing anything, Toby. Thanks again for your post.

Best,

Jill / Sr. Tech Writer at Tableau

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Latest rendition of on-line manuals are a step backwards
                          Shawn Wallwork

Good to know the Other Articles shifts to the bottom. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 10. Re: Latest rendition of on-line manuals are a step backwards
                            Toby Erkson

[I normally use Firefox so observations are with that browser unless otherwise specified]

Jill Carlsen wrote:

Now for the actual "bugs" you're seeing...

A question for you is whether you've seen this in other topics as well? We've found one more that's similar, but if there's another out there that doesn't fit the explanation and speculation I just gave, we'd love to know.

I did a quick check with some other tables in the [Server Admin] document and things appear to be working as expected for this new document format -- columns auto-size so no horizontal scroll bar is necessary and Other Articles drops to the bottom so as to not overlap the page text.  So this is good.

Jill Carlsen wrote:

Regarding the overall change, specifically, moving the contents list (TOC) to the menus at the top and relative links at the side, for version 10.2 we've made another navigation change that displays a list of topics in a section. Here's an example of this: Install & Configure section.

See, I don't like that, because if I click on a link it takes me to the desired page but that section topic list is gone so I have to use the browser Back -- possibly a number of times depending on what other links I click during my reading -- in order to take another branch from that list whereas if it was set up like the prior version that section topic list would just be an expansion from the left side TOC, where I'd be free to select something else immediately.

I have no qualms with the documentation body as it's greatly improved with more detail at every iteration and I reference it often because I always seem to discover something new I didn't know or validate what I already know.  As seen in this and prior documents, I like the "no physical page limit" like what one would normally get from a Word or Acrobat document, so that's a plus.

I noticed this new documentation format when "Everybody's Install Guide" came out and did not like it but I didn't expect it to be the new direction   After reading this piece of the blog post, explaining the reason behind the new format:

...But the old content experience sent all that Google traffic to navigation-free versions of Help pages that often looked like dead-ends. Now, folks coming from Google see top- and side-nav menus that provide helpful context.

I would say, in defense of the old "navigation-free" style, is simply display the Table of Contents, don't make it something the view must click in order to see it!  The reason for the new change doesn't sound valid to me.

• 11. Re: Latest rendition of on-line manuals are a step backwards
                              jill.carlsen

Hi Toby,

Thanks for your response. I'm glad it seems that we're on a reasonable path regarding the wide tables and text wrapping. And of course if you end up seeing the problem with a different type of topic later, please let us know.

Toby Erkson wrote:

…if I click on a link it takes me to the desired page but that section topic list is gone so I have to use the browser Back -- possibly a number of times depending on what other links I click during my reading -- in order to take another branch from that list whereas if it was set up like the prior version that section topic list would just be an expansion from the left side TOC, where I'd be free to select something else immediately.

I get what you're saying and appreciate the clarification. We really are working on ways to address feedback—next time we make a navigation change I'll try to remember to post on the forums for anyone who's interested. I see you have noticed another change on a separate thread. Stay tuned, I or another of us will reply on that thread soon.

Jill