Hi David - thanks for this reply.
Can I just ask where you're getting to this open, as I can't see it in the Data Source, Connections area:
Or in the Data menu options either.
Anyway, it was a good suggestion, and I opened the file by opening a copy of 9.3 I still had on my laptop, and the new column was there right away:
9.3 (See the RegionPerson field):
10 (see the lack of RegionPerson field):
of course I've now done a ton of work in v10 to the Tableau file, so can't easily revert to 9.3 without losing all that work (as 9.3 can't read the 10 file).
So it seems to me there is a bug in 10 in terms of importing new columns?
Hi Mark, that could be a bug. I'm not sure, but it might be worth reporting.
As far as the legacy connection goes, you can't change an existing data source to use a legacy connection. You have to re-connect to it and choose that when you're opening the workbook by pressing the down triangle next to the "Open" button in the file dialog.
Another idea: have you tried renaming the sheet in the Excel workbook?
Thanks. Good suggestion, and it did, eventually, find the new column. But...
Changing the sheet name thew out all my dozens of calculated fields. They almost all came up with an ! error ("Invalid table name value")
Then I thought I'd save the whole spreadsheet under different file name and re-link to this - which simply removed all my calculated fields completely!
So yes, ti worked, but the price was vastly too high, and I had to abort and revert to a previous saved version of the workbook.
Worth trying, and thank you for the suggestion, but I'm back to square one!
Hi Mark, one option you have is to open the new Excel data source but then copy the calculated fields from the old data source to the new one. If you select some of them and right-click, you'll see the "Copy" option. You can click that, then go to your new data source, right-click in an empty space, and press "Paste".
Ah, that's a useful tip.
In the meantime Tableau support are looking at the underlying issue.
I was able to solve this problem by dragging the excel sheet from the left side of the Data Source tab and drop it on top of my existing sheet that was part of my data model (in the white space area). This seems to replace the 'old' version that was there and replace it with the 'new' version which contains the new columns. Then my new columns were found when I clicked the button for "Update Now" in the bottom data preview pane.
I was encountering the same issue recently and may apply to you. Apparently when Tableau first pulls named ranges from Excel, it creates a shadow extract and hard codes the data range. Therefore, when it refreshes it does not pull new named range values from Excel, so new data rows or columns don't make it in. Thankfully, Tech Support provided a workaround that will work with any opened Tableau files:Re: Data refresh is not including new columns from Excel spreadsheet. Hopefully they can fix this soon.