Is there anything in common about the workbooks you are unable to open? Do they connect to the same thing? What do they connect to? Do you get this error right away or after some time?
Also, this looks like a Desktop dialog - do you only get this error with Tableau Desktop? Can you view the same viz via browser?
- 1GB of what?
- Are those all extracts?
- What's the original connection?
- Do you open workbooks from Server > Open Workbook menu?
- What exact version of Desktop are you using?
- What exact version of Server are you using?
Well, in this case your Desktop following needs to happen:
- Server needs to reconstruct workbook's XML (TWB)
- Server needs to fetch corresponding extract (TDE)
- Server needs to package (zip) both TWB in TDE in a single package (TWBX)
- Server needs to stream it to your Desktop
All this operation for 1GB+ Extracts is no trivial tasks..
Can you check if you have any network activity while this dialog is up (via Task Manager)?
Also, if you have access to the Server - can you check if it looks like there's some process that's doing something? Is there enough disk space?
p.s. Are you able to download that workbook from web page?