1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2016 2:49 PM by Jeff Strauss Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Tableau 9.1.2 upgrade - error with distributed environment
        Jeff Strauss

the UAC level is a very interesting concept.  How do I check the policy settings to ensure they are correct?

This morning I tried what you suggested and it had no affect.  And I tried all combinations of "run with highest privilege", run when logged in or not having to be logged in.  All had the same behavior of queueing the job.

-----------------

Good news!!!!

I tried something new, on the /Run command, I added a /I which indicates to make it run regardless of constraints.  And this works as the job does not sit in the queue!!!!!!!!

schtasks /Create /SC ONCE /ST 00:00 /TN "test2016" /F /RU "SYSTEM" /TR "cmd.exe /C G:\Scripts\ServerAdmin\testecho.cmd > \"G:\Scripts\ServerAdmin\Logs\test.log\" 2>&1"

schtasks /Run /I /TN "test2016"

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • 16. Re: Tableau 9.1.2 upgrade - error with distributed environment
          Joshua Swickard

Awesome news Jeffrey!

So the only constraint that is on by default with task scheduler is Power (computer is on AC power).  It is possible your machines think they are running on battery, i've seen that happen before with bios issues.

Can you try going to the Conditions tab and uncheck "Start the task only if the computer is on AC power" before calling /run without /i to see if that allows it to run and also validate that there are no other conditions listed?

To test I tried this on my win7 laptop on battery, it didn't run on the same step, but did log on error:

I also tested with UAC on full on 2012R2 but it still ran without /i.

• 17. Re: Tableau 9.1.2 upgrade - error with distributed environment
            Jeff Strauss

I hear what you're saying about trying to find the culprit condition that prevents the queued job from running.  Prior to issuing the run command, I unchecked the "start the task only if the computer is on AC power".  And it still queued.  and then upon issuing the command again with /I, it runs.

How do I test with UAC on full?

• 18. Re: Tableau 9.1.2 upgrade - error with distributed environment
              Joshua Swickard

Search for "User account control" on the start screen:

And run the slider to "never notify".

However, i tried going to Always notify and restarting, and still couldn't repro the condition you have. 

I'll take the support case and enter a request for adding /I to our /run task for a future version.  For the immediate upcoming upgrade I think either scripting a batch script that kicks it off with /I until it doesn't get an error that the task doesn't exist or finding the root cause to why it queues in your environment will both help us get through it smoothly.

• 19. Re: Tableau 9.1.2 upgrade - error with distributed environment
                Jeff Strauss

thanks, it's already set to "never notify".  I agree that these windows internals can be a bit cumbersome / obscure to track down.  And I will deal with it manually for the current planned upgrade.  But it's good to know so that if other TS clients run into this, then they know what to do manually.  And hopefully adding the "/I" flag can be a timely fix and work it's way into a future product release.  thank you for all your help!!!!!!!!!!

• 20. Re: Tableau 9.1.2 upgrade - error with distributed environment
                  Jeff Strauss

we will look forward to the addition of the "/I" flag.

1 2 Previous Next