1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 5:44 AM by Rody Zakovich

Help with shapes Part 2

jens.bruckmann

Hi all,

I am an absolutley newbie with tableau and read through a lot of entries in this forum already. I found already a thread where shapes are really good explained (Help With Shapes) and tried to adapt it to my data but I am getting stucked a little bit.

What I want is comparing data with different years and show the differnce with a shape. Compare Jan 2015 with Jan 2014 and so on.

I think I am on a good way but when you look at the attached file you see my issue I guess. I want to hide the difference for 2014 and only show the differwnce in 2015.

in excel it would look like this

2014         2015          difference

Jan       51            60                + 9 ( shape with arrow to top

Feb       70            65                - 5(shape with arrow down)

but as you can see it looks a little bit different and I bet there is a way how this can be sorted but I don´t know how.

And maybe you have an idea why everywhere the calculation in difference is show everywhere correct but only in May the arrow is down instead of up??

• 1. Re: Help with shapes Part 2
          Rajeev Pandey

Dear jens,

I can help you with your problem but I am not able to open the Workbook as it is created with latest version. Would you please create a same issue with Tableau 8.3 so that I can have a look and Provide you the Solution

• 2. Re: Help with shapes Part 2
            jens.bruckmann

Hi

I only have installed Version 9.1 and no older Version is there a chance to make it compatible to an older version?

• 3. Re: Help with shapes Part 2
              Mark Fraser

Hi Jens

I have inadvertently already helped you - via the original thread

But this is more difficult...

I have tried various techniques, formulas etc. and the closest I can get is below/ attached - Its not ideal.

The month/ year values are displayed, alongside the difference, but its not easy to read/ use.

I appear also to have fixed your issue with May

I will keep trying (time permitting), I'm sure there must be a better way...

Good Luck!

Cheers

Mark

• 4. Re: Help with shapes Part 2
                jens.bruckmann

Hi Mark,

thanks a lot for your answer. I rebuilt it and was wondering for what you have added the index function. It is nearly there but having the difference in a seperate row and the symbols only in the difference would be ideal

• 5. Re: Help with shapes Part 2
                  Mark Fraser

Hi Jens

Earlier, the values from 2015 where overlaid on top of each other so you couldn't read it, so I added the INDEX() to split them out but I just removed the index, and it made no difference, so I'm not sure what I did earlier?!

Its frustratingly close, and ideally the values would be aligned differently but as yet I haven't figured a workaround.

Hoping someone may join the thread with a alternative - I would certainly be interested!!

In the meantime, I'll keep trying.

Cheers

Mark

• 6. Re: Help with shapes Part 2
                    Mark Fraser

Its a tiny improvement - but it at least aligns the monthly figures

Set the vertical formatting to Top

and the only other thing I have so far...

Setting the difference with +/- using this custom format "+" #,##0;"-" #,##0

• 7. Re: Help with shapes Part 2
                      Rody Zakovich

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to add onto Mark's solution with a useful blog post(s) on the topic.

Older But Still Useful – Conditional Formatting | Drawing with Numbers

Best Regards,

Rody

• 8. Re: Help with shapes Part 2
                        Mark Fraser

Thanks Rody, I did have a look through Jonathan's workbook already, its excellent but...

The problem is (which isn't covered in any of his examples) is having years separated into columns... that's whats causing me the issue. Everything discrete would be the closest:

but when you add the column/ year split the problems start

• 9. Re: Help with shapes Part 2
                          jens.bruckmann

I really appreciate all of your help. I am just thinking loud but is it in tableau possible to maybe just hide the field if the value is blank?

I have some excel expirence and I have created there formula which shows only a field if the value is in (ifblank).Is something like this possible in Tableau?

Or is it possible to work with maybe a Zero to hide?

• 10. Re: Help with shapes Part 2
                            Mark Fraser

Ideally you'd just right click, hide column

is it in tableau possible to maybe just hide the field if the value is blank?

It is certainly possible... this was my first approach but you have to be careful which values you pick up, and therefore what you hide. The problem with hiding/ filtering 2014 is you need the values to work out the difference...

It would be something like this

IF ISNULL([Number of Records]) THEN 'HIDE' END

I tried both filtering on null differences and even tried to leverage the year in conjunction with the null difference values > so if difference was null and year was 2014 then hide. But haven't got anything working.

Its an interesting problem, but one I have yet to crack.

I'm sure it possible, that's what is most frustrating!!

• 11. Re: Help with shapes Part 2
                              Rody Zakovich

I'm slightly following this thread, so if I miss-understood something, please let me know.

But I'm wondering if you would implement a Table Calc ( LOOKUP() ) to "filter" out the NULL Values after the initial Table Calc is processed.

So something like...

IF ISNULL(LOOKUP(SUM([Number of Records])),0) THEN 'HIDE' END

Where we just LOOKUP the value, and if it is NULL Hide it. The key is the LOOKUP part that forces it to be a Table Calc, thus it is filtered later in the pipeline.

If this wasn't what you were after, please let me know.

Regards,

Rody

• 12. Re: Help with shapes Part 2
                                jens.bruckmann

@Mark:

Well I already tried to hide the column. The issue I was facing not only the empty column was hide the column with the Data was gone, too

@Mark, Rody:

I tried with hide now but the result was nearly the same. I was not able to get rid of the empty column. 

• 13. Re: Help with shapes Part 2
                                  Mark Fraser

I'm slightly following this thread

All help welcome!

I have attached my copy, first sheet is Jens original (following my gide from a previous thread), 2nd sheet is my alternative attempt...

My worry with filtering, however we do it, is we need to keep the 2014 values (somehow?!) to work out the difference between 2014 vs 2015 but we dont want to display the difference for 2014 (against itself - its null), only the 2014 v 2015 difference.

I have tried every workaround, hack and trick I can think of... Sheet 2 represents the closest I can, its close but you can see the issue...

I quickly tried your formula but I think it needs some amendments...

Best of luck!!!

• 14. Re: Help with shapes Part 2
                                    Mark Fraser

The issue I was facing not only the empty column was hide the column with the Data was gone, too

That is exactly the issue with going down a filtering route...

The only other workaround I can think of is to duplicate the sheet and try and float 1 sheet on top of the other in a single dashboard. (overlay 2015 figures to hide the 2014 trend column) but aligning will be difficult.

1 2 Previous Next