1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2015 4:42 PM by Shawn Wallwork Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Labeling a pie chart
        Trishia Singla

Shawn Wallwork Thanks. Yes my parameter has two options one sum of quantity and other sum of dollar value. I want both fields comma separated with currency additionally having $ as prefix.

I haven't been able to achieve this. Attached is the workbook for your reference.

• 16. Re: Labeling a pie chart
          Shawn Wallwork

OK, so the trick is to use the negative side of a custom number format to do a different formatting. Here's the custom format:

"$"#,##0; #,##0

So positive numbers will be currency, and negative numbers will be integers. Then you'll need to change your calc to this:

if [Parameters].[Qty/Value]=1 then -[Billing Quantity]

elseif [Parameters].[Qty/Value]=2 then  [Net Value]

end

Note the negative before the Billing field. Also this assumes that your fields will not have negative values. See attached.

--Shawn

• 17. Re: Labeling a pie chart
            Trishia Singla

Shawn Wallwork

Thanks a lot for your reply. The part that i couldn't figure out is "

use the negative side of a custom number format to do a different formatting. Here's the custom format:

"$"#,##0; #,##0

"

How are you implementing this? Can you share the step by step process?

Plus in my case the qty and net value metric can be negative for items that got returned back to the manufacturer. Is there a way to do this without assuming that any of the metric stays always positive?

• 18. Re: Labeling a pie chart
              Shawn Wallwork

So the concept is that Tableau formats positive and negative numbers differently. And we can take advantage of this. The way these two different values are formatted in Tableau (and Excel) is by using formatting symbols. We use these symbols in the 'Custom' formatting option.

In this trick the most important symbol is the semi-colon (  ;  ) because this is what is used to denote the separation between positive and negative formatting.

Number format.png

So by making 'Billing Quantity' a negative number (like I showed you in my last post) you make Tableau use the formatting on the right side of the semi-colon. All positive numbers will use the formatting on the left side of the colon.

Does this make sense? Does this answer your question?

--Shanw

• 19. Re: Labeling a pie chart
                Shawn Wallwork

Oops. I just read this:

Plus in my case the qty and net value metric can be negative

Sorry to say this is a deal killer. This trick won't work.

--Shawn

1 2 Previous Next