Ahh, thank you!
Unfortunately that article does not solve it for me
The thing is that we only use the desktop client (no server). I followed the instructions to change the IE Internet Options LAN Settings. The problem is that we use an automatic proxy configuration script. I tried with our IT to change it to a manual selection but that did not work.
What could I do?
Did you ever find a resolution? We have some users with similar issue. I have been told sometimes a restart of Tableau will correct it, but have not been able to track down a user when it happens yet.
Seriously? There's no good answer for this problem? Also having the same issue. Only have this problem if I come from a shared weblink. I am the author of the workbook and sheet.
Check these out:
You may need to get your network team to help you figure it out as they can monitor what is trying going where and what they're blocking.
Of course there's always working with Tableau Support
Thanks for the follow up. At first I was suspecting you were recommending the only answer I've seen to this so far "check your firewall", which given the fact that I can load other map dashboards fine, I highly doubt is the problem... but I see you've done some advanced digging on this after reading both forum posts.
I suspect neither of these are the issue in my specific case. We aren't using a proxy in our links as I'm accessing the server from the local intranet, we do have a proxy url but I'm not using it in any way in this case and the proxy is not our primary url. I don't have the option of using the 'classic maps' in 9.0, although I know the options you are referring to there.
I ended up resetting the map. Switched it to offline mode, then back to Tableau and re-customized the map settings before republished. Somehow that seems to have cleared up the issue strangely enough...
Well, that's rather odd but thanks for posting the follow-up We can send people here if they have a similar issue
Haha! These are the types of answers that we really really don't like to hear... weird glitches that somehow are overridden once you flip on/off settings... That unpredictability can fray nerves
I have a similar issue in Server 9.0.3 which I'll be raising with Tableau Support soon. Keeping in mind that this wasn't an issue on 8.2.
Basically if I publish a Sheet with a map, it will load the online map.
But if I publish that same Sheet within a Dashboard, then the map doesn't load on the dashboard (comes up with the Online map cannot be loaded error).....
Please do raise this issue with our support team. Off the top of my head the only thing I can think of is that somehow your view crossed the limit for local rendering of views. When local rendering for maps is available, the background map tiles are fetched from the user's web browser. Once you hit a certain threshold for the number of marks on the view though, the map becomes server rendered and that means that Tableau Server (instead of the user's browser) needs access to Tableau's Map Service.
One way to test this out is to take the same dashboard that is not loading and try to open it with the exact same state on desktop. If the map loads in desktop but not from the browser, it could be that Tableau Server is not able to reach the Tableau Map Service based on some network configuration that is in play.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Thanks Sean, that gives me something to play with.
I think you might've hit the nail on the head though, when I reduce the number of marks the map does render on the dashboard!
Will go through this doco and check if I've missed anything.
Based on what you described above, this is definitely the issue then. You will need to make sure that the Tableau Server can access the Tableau Map Service.