4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 5:34 AM by Prashant Sharma

Compact filter for several dimensions

Sebastian Schäfer

My data contains about 30 different dimension attributes with about 5 to 10 different values each. On my tableau dashboard I would like to give the user the possibility to set filters (with multi-selection) on any dimension, but I don't have the space to display each dimension separately. Is there a way to firstly let the user select the dimension and in a second step select the desired values? (The concept of cyclic groups available in QlikView would do the job, but I could not find something similar in tableau.)

• 1. Re: Compact filter for several dimensions
          Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Sebastian,

we can use parameter to change this dynamically.

if you want to show measures then

Step:1

Create parameter [Measure Parameter] list as Sales, Profit and Unit Price

measure para.png

Step:2

Create calculation as follows [Measure Calc]

case [Measure Parameter]

when "Sales" then [Sales]

when "Profit" then [Profit]

when "Unit Price" then [Unit Price]

end

Step:3

Drag this [Measure Calc] into coloumn and drag any of dimensions into row

Step:4

Show Parameter control and select Kpis.

Thanks

sankar

• 2. Re: Compact filter for several dimensions
            Sankarmagesh Rajan

hi

if you want to show Dimensions dynamically

Step:1

Create [Dim Parameter]

Untitled.png

Step:2

Create calc as

Case [Dim Parameter]

When “Region” then [Region]

When “Product Category” then [Product Category]

End

Step:3

Drag this calculation into row

Step:4

Show parameter control and select dimensions.

thanks

sankar

• 3. Re: Compact filter for several dimensions
              Sebastian Schäfer

Hi Sankar,
              thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I am still not able to get what I am looking for.

Let me give you an example: I have three completely independent dimensions REGION, CATEGORY and COLOR. A possible solution would be to have a drop down that contains those three. In another control below all values of the currently selected dimension are displayed to the user allowing him to (multi-)select the values he is interested in. By that he is able to set his filters for all three (or in reality much more) dimensions and the visualizations are adjusted accordingly. With the solution you proposed I can only set the filter for one dimension at a time, and not e.g. set a (combined) filter on REGION and CATEGORY.

In QlikView the solution to my problem comes “out of the box”: All dimensions can be put into a single “cyclic group” allowing the user to cycle through (or directly select) any one of them and setting filters on the respective values as needed - all in one control on the screen for any number of dimensions.

Maybe there is currently no solution for that in tableau or maybe someone has found a tricky way to do it.

• 4. Re: Compact filter for several dimensions
                Prashant Sharma

Hi Sebastian,

I know in Qlikview we have cyclic group but here we do not have that option but you can achieve this by using parameter & with different reports in a single dashboard & you can use sheet swapping for that.

Let me take one example.

If you want to create one Product Category (Category, Sub-Category, Item) & one Region Category (State, City) then you have to create two different reports. One is with Product Category & one is with Region Category. Using sheet swapping method we can switch these reports on the basis of group selection using parameter - Sheet Swapping and Popping with Joe Oppelt (and a Tip on Searching the Tableau Forums) | mluttonbi

You can also check this blog - Dynamic Hierarchies with Tableau - Clearly and Simply

I don't think that this will work - You can also use custom SQL for achieving the same. In custom SQL you can use Union ALL to create another column that is having all the dimension names & one column having values of these dimensions - SQL UNION Operator

Every tool is having its limitations so we have to find out other ways to solve the issues. Hope you can understand!

Warm Regards,

Prashant Sharma - India | LinkedIn