7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2016 4:00 AM by kettan

FAQ:  Open Data

kettan

Recommended:  What are your favorite places to get data?

Resources

Resources | Tableau Public

Data Sources | Health Intelligence

OpenDataSites | Your portal to Open Data sites around the world

Quandl - Find, Use and Share Numerical Data

Data | The World Bank

Open Data Bits – Modeling, Integrating & Visualizing Open Data

Open Risk Data - Open Risk Manual

Dashboards

Open Data Sites | Tableau Public   ( Open Data Profile | Tableau Public )

Blogs

2016-04-10   Using Tableau Public to Analyze Open Data • WPRDC

2016-02-25   Protip: Wikipedia Is a Treasure Trove of Data Sets | Tableau Software

2013-08-08   Worldwide Open Data Sites | DataRemixed

2010-10-06   VizCandy: Tableau Public and Open Data

Questions

2016-07-24   Best Open Data Sources For Data Visualisation

2015-10-07   Lots of Great Data Available on World Bank

2015-06-20   Trying to find large data sets

2015-03-26   Looking for interesting & reasonably user friendly data set to visualize as proof of concept

2015-02-25   What are your favorite places to get data?

2015-02-25   Is there any freely available cosmological data that can be analyzed and visualized by Tableau?

2013-06-27   I want more data! Where can I find a lot of data?

Ideas

2016-09-01   Link Tableau to Economic data

2016-08-24   Tableau Open Data Portal

2016-08-18   Tableau Community Data Server

2015-09-18   web data connector market place

2015-04-09   Tableau should have a public data sources that users can reference(i.e Census data)

2013-05-09   connection to quandl.com

Other FAQ collections:  FAQ Hub

• 1. Re: FAQ:  Public Data
          Shawn Wallwork

Kettan thanks for keeping these going! You're the best!

--Shawn

• 2. Re: FAQ:  Open Data
            mark.vandewielle

Could you add this one:

web data connector market place

• 3. Re: FAQ:  Open Data
              kettan

Done! I have to admit that I am not sure I understand what a market place is in the context of web data connectors. Is it about buying and selling data?

• 4. Re: FAQ:  Open Data
                mark.vandewielle

Not sure where the nuances lie between "Tableau Open Data Portal" and "web data connector market place". I think the two ideas are 90% overlapping, the main reason I mentioned it is for completeness sake because it was so closely related to the ideas that were already listed in the FAQ.

But yeah, the one difference for me is that an "Open Data Portal" suggests all data is for free, while a "Data Market Place" suggests that some of the data can be the more specialized for-pay data sources. There is a significant market for that as well, and I think Tableau could be a good gateway for business analysts to discover what is available there (in my experience there is typically a mental hurdle for going that route, so we limit ourselves to public data sources). I wouldn't expect Tableau to include the whole payment / subscription part of such a market into their software and have it work like an app store, all of that should be handled by the data providers themselves, but simply not limiting the portal to free data sources and allowing paid data sources to be listed as well seems like something to consider.

To give a very specific example: if I would search the hypothetical "Tableau Open Data Portal" for data around exchange rates, I would probably find some free data source with historical exchange rates going back a few years. But if I want a fully detailed 100-year history of exchange rates, or if I want live up-to-the-second data on exchange rates, I need to connect to Reuters and I need a paid data subscription with them.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: FAQ:  Open Data
                  kettan

Thanks. In this context, I assume  web data connector market place  is about making it easy to connect to Reuters, or perhaps even more about being a portal to find market places which Tableau can connect directly to.

I found Ability to Connect to Live Market Feeds when searching for Reuters.

Interestingly, it is actually marked as released (in 9.0).

Ps. This collection about open data was not made because I want Tableau to improve this - I haven't had any need of this yet. This and many other collections are made as a way to reduce number of duplicate questions and lessen searches on known answers and thus make it more enjoyable to be a helper (and questioner and learner) on this forum. This said, I still think close to 100% of all new questions have been asked before and thus duplicate questions!

• 6. Re: FAQ:  Open Data
                    mark.vandewielle

I think what's marked as released is the ability to connect to these data sources, once you know what source you want to use. What is requested in the "Open Data Portal" idea(s) is a community-driven discovery mechanism, sort of like the difference between the ability to run an app on a phone vs. having an app store.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: FAQ:  Open Data
                      kettan

Thanks. I think I fully understand this now 

Ps. This forum also needs an Open Answer Connector Portal, so available answers become easier less difficult to find