I haven't experienced this. Are you able to post a screenshot of what you're seeing?
One possible way to avoid this would be to correct the names when you've connected before going to the workbook.
Thanks for your reply. When I connect to a new SQL Data Source, the field names that are normally things such as was_this_visit_callable come through as Was This Visit Callable. We have upwards of 100 fields so manually changing them back is not really an option for us.
In the example below, I connected to a table, which has the columns address_1, address_1_Comment etc. in it. When I preview the data, it looks fine. When I drag the pill over, you can see below it has renamed the fields for me.
This is quite annoying , especially when I maintain data dictionaries and documentation which now doesn't align to the model within Tableau
I got some feedback from Tableau support on this today.
I was told this 'improvement' was actually introduced in v8.1 but I just successfully tested it wasn't, at least for MS SQL Server.
There is a workaround as follows -
1) Right Click the Program Shortcut for Tableau 8.2, on the Windows Desktop, and select "Properties".
2) Click on the "Shortcut" tab if it is not already selected.
3) Under Target, add the text -DADM=0 to the end of the statement, so that the field appears similar to the following:
"C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau 8.2\bin\tableau.exe" -DADM=0
4) Click OK
5) Double click the Tableau 8.2 icon to launch Tableau Desktop
Like I said to support, I find it a little concerning that Tableau has taken a 'we know best' approach here when it comes to naming conventions for fields. In some cases agree with the readability enhancements which have been made, but this should be a behavior which can be enabled rather than forced by default. Or at least it should be controllable at the time the connection is made.
Replacing the underscore with a space will lead to confusion for some users. If I have a field called [my_field_one], I can refer to it in calculated fields as either [my_field_one] or [my field one] - both are acceptable, but I can see this leading to confusion for end users when linking calculated fields back to sources and our data dictionary.
Thankfully we have a small deployment so I can roll out and control the workaround easily enough.
Thanks and credit to Tableau support for the workaround.
Thank you for this, this is a great help.
Worrying they change something like this without making it an option. At least there is a work around.
I don't like the looks of this at all. This should certainly be an optional setting--why work at getting naming conventions right if the tool is going to change your work?
This is a very frustrating change. Not sure why it was implemented in the way it was, but I am happy to see that there is SOME way to change it back. Thanks for the workaround info!
One thing I just realized, is that opening Tableau by double-clicking a workbook file bypasses the -DADM=0 suffix because the shortcut isn't being used. It's obvious why this happens, but it would be MUCH better to enable or disable this feature as a user preference.
Have you seen this work in the 9.0 beta?
This still hasn't been corrected Tableau 8.3. What a joke.
Just tried this on 8.3 by pasting data from the clipboard. It's renaming field names by adding spaces. I also tried using two fields with a similar name - with and without an underscore.
Tableau translates that to
Adding spaces is an annoying default. The default should be the original names with an option for renaming.
Adding spaces AND removing underscores to create field names that are ambiguous is more than annoying. It's a bug that needs to be fixed.
There's a different workaround in Tableau 9 (just got it from support). Still a pain in the ****, but if the datasource has a lot of columns, it's faster.
1. Connect to the data source, go to a worksheet and save the connection as a .tds file by right clicking on the data source and selecting 'Add to Saved Data Sources...'. Disconnect from the data source.
2. Open the saved data source with a text or xml editor.
3. Search for the xml tag '<aliases enabled='yes' />' and change 'yes' to 'no'.
4. Reconnect to the saved data source (.tde)
I posted an "idea" for Tableau to stop doing this altogether.