9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2018 4:39 AM by ibrar ahmed

Desktop vs Laptop vs Projector

Case Chad

I created a very nice dashboard when I was connected to my docking station with an external monitor,  when I go to my laptop screen alone or to a projector for a presentation to show my managers this great dashboard I made everything gets resized and it looks like a complete mess.

How do I keep everything the same size no matter what I am displaying on.

Help!!!

• 1. Re: Desktop vs Laptop vs Projector
          Manoj Ramachandra

Try to keep the dashboard size to ipad landscape since it has worked for me in all kinds of viewing. Also try to keep your 'fit' options as entire view or 'Fit width' and 'Fit height' if its really required for your visualization. Keeping it 'Normal' most times tend to create unexpected viewing/sizing experience. 22.JPG

• 2. Re: Desktop vs Laptop vs Projector
            Case Chad

Thank you,  should I add the worksheets as Floating or Tiled?

• 3. Re: Desktop vs Laptop vs Projector
              Manoj Ramachandra

Tiled. Use floating in cases where you want to place custom labels and text in particular area you want.

• 5. Re: Desktop vs Laptop vs Projector
                Shawn Wallwork

Case this old post might help:

Re: Dashboard Screen resolution

When I think about (deal with) correct dashboard sizing here are the things I consider:

1. Will the Dashboard be published to Server, or presented using Desktop/Reader?
                2. What screen resolution will it be presented/consumed at?
                3. What aspect ratio will it be presented/consumed at?
                4. What is the resolution/aspect ratio 'range' for this dashboard?

1. Server is much more 'forgiving' than Desktop presentations, mostly because many browsers support ctrl-scroll wheel zooming within the browser window. So as long as you use a 'middle' aspect ratio, your users can then adjust the dashboard to fill their viewing situation, whether that's 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio. This isn't true of Desktop presentation.

2. If at all possible, it's best to design to a specific resolution. But of course this isn't always possible. Changing resolution can really mess up a well designed dashboard, adding a lot of scrollbars on every object. This is especially true if you use Automatic dashboard sizing, and Tiled objects. Luckily we are no longer stuck with only Tiled object, which we were back when I started. Thanks again for Floating objects T!

3. Aspect ratio is important because a dashboard designed for 16:9  can look crappy on a 4:3 monitor. Even if it is in a browser window on Sever.

4. If you can determine the resolution/aspect ratio 'range', you can design to the middle, or at least make sure things will look 'okay' at both ends. Here's the chart I always use to help me figure the optimum dashboard size for a set of resolutions/aspect ratios:

Vector_Video_Standards8.svg.png

Notice how an 8:5 falls nicely between the most common aspect ratios of 4:3 & 16:9.

As to tiled vs float: I always Float everything that 'sits on the dashboard'. What I mean by this is that while I do put some quick filters and parameters into containers, these container (that sit on the dashboard) are always floated. Put another way, anything that is NOT in a container is floating, and all containers that 'touch' the dashboard are also floating. Why? Because this guarantees that if the dashboard is displayed at a very small resolution, then only 1 vertical and/or 1 horizontal scroll bar will show -- the least objectionable bad outcome. Of course those quick filters in those containers are all still possible victims of the little scroll bars, but I do a lot of testing at different resolutions to minimize this possibility.

Suggestions:

• Ask a lot of questions before setting a dashboard size
                • Set an exact dashboard size
                • Test it on all resolution/aspect ratios in your target range
                • Favor floating objects, placing them carefully on the dashboard.
                • Test, test, test

And finally, if you're using Server, publish your dashboards early and often, because Server is most definitely NOT a WYSIWYG (for various reasons).

Hope this helps,

--Shawn

NOTE: I have a dual monitor setup. One monitor is native 1920x1080 (16:9) and the other 1600x1200 (4:3). This allows me to test many different resolutions, aspect ratios. I highly recommend this setup for anyone interested in producing/testing great looking dashboards.

• 6. Re: Desktop vs Laptop vs Projector
                  Shawn Wallwork

FYI: Most projectors are a 4:3 aspect ratio.

• 7. Re: Desktop vs Laptop vs Projector
                    Case Chad

Thank you so much

• 8. Re: Desktop vs Laptop vs Projector
                      Shawn Wallwork

You're welcome Case!

• 9. Re: Desktop vs Laptop vs Projector
                        ibrar ahmed

Because laptops are designed for portability, there are some important differences between them and desktop computers. A laptop has an all-in-one design,

with a built-in monitor, keyboard, touch pad (which replaces the mouse), and speakers. products related to projectors for laptops and see what customers say about projectors for laptops