1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2015 9:52 PM by Ville Tyrväinen

Inverse Sheet Popping

Keith Helfrich

How to "pop" a worksheet when nothing exists ?

In their We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping forum thread, Matt LuttonJoe Oppelt and Ville Tyrväinen offer a lot of helpful education around how to "POP" worksheets in & out of view on a dashboard.

The challenge I'm facing now is: how to "pop" precisely when the "pop" sheet has no records.

Why ? Well, in another forum thread: How to stop Tableau saying 'ALL' when I COUNT(FIELDNAME)Shawn Wallwork was able to convince the title of a worksheet to display "NONE" instead of "ALL" when the quick filter has no items selected.  Or when the worksheet has no marks, etc.

But that "NONE" in the title just isn't quite good enough.  Instead, my dashboard calls for the "NONE" text covered up by something else, some other text string, customized to what I need for it to say.

So, when the conditions for "NONE" are right, how to make the pop occur ?

Thus far, I've never been able to create a calculated field that evaluates to TRUE precisely when the sheet is empty & the number of marks on the page are zero.

Thanks!

Keith Helfrich | Twitter

Red Headed Step Data

• 1. Re: Inverse Sheet Popping
          Joe Oppelt

Seems to me, when you have no data, you don't get a sheet displayed.

That's how popping works.  You usually have some binary-type filter that allows the sheet to display itself, or forces the sheet to be empty because of the binary filter value being false.

I didn't want this question to go un-attended, so I put in my two cents.  If someone has some other magic to share here, I'm eager to see it.

• 2. Re: Inverse Sheet Popping
            Keith Helfrich

Thanks, Joe.

That's right.  I want to evaluate the boolean "IF <<no data>> THEN TRUE".  And activate the pop sheet based on TRUE.  But, of course, you're right & I've thus far always been thwarted by the fact that IF <<no data>> THEN <<black hole>> (nothing at all).

Actually, by tinkering a bit more, I've found with this particular dashboard I have an out & I can get around the problem thanks to the making use of a handy parameter that was already in play.  Still, this isn't the first time that I've wanted to take some useful action based on the absence of data.

And I'm left wondering, how might this be done.

Thanks!

Keith Helfrich | Twitter

Red Headed Step Data

• 3. Re: Inverse Sheet Popping
              Ville Tyrväinen

Did you already get this one?

• 4. Re: Inverse Sheet Popping
                Keith Helfrich

Hi Ville,

I found a solution for this workbook by approaching it from a different angle.  But the search for the ability to take an action in Tableau based on the computation "IF <<no data>> THEN TRUE" is still unresolved.

This is something I've definitely wanted to do in the past multiple times, and will certainly want to do again.

Let me know if you have any ideas ?

Thanks!

Keith Helfrich | Twitter

Red Headed Step Data

• 5. Re: Inverse Sheet Popping
                  Ville Tyrväinen

Hi Keith,

would something like this work?

keith1.jpg

• 6. Re: Inverse Sheet Popping
                    Joe Oppelt

Ville  -- What I pictured is this:

Worksheet has a title.  It has some high level data (sheet total, for instance, or sales region for the viz, or date ranges, etc.)

When there is no data for the viz, the title still displays.  When that happens, the SUM([total-sheet]) displays as NULL, [Sales-Region] is NULL, etc.  But the title is still there with NULL in those places.

I guess a way to handle that is not to display the title with the sheet, but build a separate title-only sheet, and with proper popping, a title and a data sheet will display, or a text box that looks like a title, but just says "No data for this selection" will display.  But doesn't that come back to the question of how to detect a "no data" situation?

• 7. Re: Inverse Sheet Popping
                      Ville Tyrväinen

Hi Joe,

If you do it like in that picture, you can still keep that title for your data sheet and see how values change when you filter more items. And when you filter out all values, both lift sheet and your data sheet will collapse and that title will move up and that dummy title will replace it.

• 8. Re: Inverse Sheet Popping
                        Joe Oppelt

What is the condition that determines if the lift sheet displays or not?

I guess it would be all the same filters as the data sheet, "Apply to" the lift sheet?

• 9. Re: Inverse Sheet Popping
                          Ville Tyrväinen

Yeah you can use same condition, so your lift sheet uses same data source as your data sheet. So you just leave your lift sheet to normal and put there dimension "1" . Then edit cell height of your lift sheet so that sheets move correctly when there is no data.

• 10. Re: Inverse Sheet Popping
                            Ville Tyrväinen

Here's a workbook to explain it better

j2.jpg

j1.jpg

• 11. Re: Inverse Sheet Popping
                              Ville Tyrväinen

Hi Keith,

Did that work for you?

• 12. Re: Inverse Sheet Popping
                                Joe Oppelt

Ville -- I can tell you that it will work for me!

It doesn't answer the specific question of how to capture the condition where there is no data, though.  It just leverages Tableau's behavior when that condition exists.

• 13. Re: Inverse Sheet Popping
                                  Ville Tyrväinen

Joe, nice to hear that

I think they should change it so that it would be easier to modify those all, none...

• 14. Re: Inverse Sheet Popping
                                    Keith Helfrich

Hi Ville, thank you for looking into this.

On the topic of 'All' vs. 'None', I had an episode with that myself & I wound up contacting Tableau Support to get clarification on Shawn's discoveries, which can be found here and here.  If it says 'All', then you can at least get it to say 'None' by dragging an exact copy of that pill onto the filter shelf.  It would be great to be able to customize this text further.

For your "LIFT" approach to solving this problem, it's not really that useful in my case.  The lift approach requires all the "hiding" to happen beneath a layer that is inside of the dashboard.  Since the sheets I'm "popping" are at the very top, I really need to do my "hiding" by moving them "up" into negative Y space.

If it were truly necessary, then you're right: I could float yet more things to accomplish the hiding.  But, that's a slippery slope: the more you float, the more you need to float, and the more of a nightmare it all becomes.  Ideally, I prefer to tile as much as possible & float only the minimum necessary.

I did find a solution, in this case, which uses the traditional "from above" pop.  I could do that only because I got lucky.  There was an extra parameter hanging around in the dashboard that I could take advantage of.  And based on that parameter, I could fit the needed title in between two other popping layers.

No answers yet on how to take an action in Tableau based on "IF <<no data>> THEN TRUE".   That would be really nice.

Thanks!

Keith Helfrich | Twitter

Red Headed Step Data

1 2 Previous Next