1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2014 3:21 PM by Michel Caissie Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Cross-table several variables
        Vladimir Kostochka

Interesting ...

I'll play more detail tomorrow

• 16. Re: Cross-table several variables
          Matt Lutton

Very nice.  Very glad you posted this, as I've never seen this type of solution with Measure Names/Values in the past.  This certainly was beyond me, and something I had not considered for this particular worksheet.

Where did you pick that up from Michel Caissie (or did it just come to you now)?  It makes total sense, now that I see it, but I wonder why I haven't seen it before.

Thank you VERY much for jumping in - I worry about misrepresenting Tableau when I'm the only one responding.

I still think Reshaping the data is going to be the ideal solution, since I'm sure there is more to this report than just this one sheet.  And since it's survey data, reshaping is going to benefit the OP in many other scenarios.

• 17. Re: Cross-table several variables
            Vladimir Kostochka

Could you show how to drag both Color T-test Discovery  and Measure Names on the color shelf?

I'll have total 8 Color Test. It'll will be work?

Capture.PNG

• 18. Re: Cross-table several variables
              Matt Lutton

I don't believe this will work if you have 8 color tests.  But perhaps I'm wrong on that as well!  I believe this will only work if you only want to color on the one measure in the view.

To pull multiple pills to the color shelf from the data window, I typically hold CTRL + SHIFT while pulling the fields into the view. Michel suggested holding CTRL while selecting both, and then right-click dragging them into the view (I just confirmed that both methods work for me)

• 19. Re: Cross-table several variables
                Michel Caissie

I don't remember exactly when i saw that i could bring 2 dimensions on a color shelf but from there i went on using the Measure Names Dimension with a Color classification to accomplish this kind of requirement. When there is not to much measures to color, it`s easier than going with a multi-axis solution.

I have an Idea opened so we could do the same with the Shapes.

http://community.tableau.com/ideas/2899

Vladimir, to do it with multiple measures follow the instructions in this post.

How do I limit the mark color to correct measure. My colors are coloring the wrong measure. twbx attached

And to drag both, select both with Ctrl then  right-click and drag (not left click)

• 20. Re: Cross-table several variables
                  Matt Lutton

I use the multiple dimension technique often, but had never considered it with this Measure Names/Measure Values setup.

Can you post a workbook showing it working for each measure for this data?  I think that would help both me and the OP.

I'm having trouble even re-creating it for one measure in my own work:

Untitled.png

• 21. Re: Cross-table several variables
                    Michel Caissie

I did it for  Decision and Discovery since both had the color classification done.

I modify the color classification to return not only the color literal  but the measure name along with the color. So for Discovery it`s  then 'DiscGreen'... elseif... 'DiscRed'...else 'DiscBlack'  and for Decision it's

then 'DecGreen'... elseif... 'DecRed'...else 'DecBlack'.

Next i created a new calculation  [Color] which is the concatenation of  all the color classifications.

Next I bring  Measure Names and [Color] on the color shelf .

When editing the color, i check the Measure name and set the color accordingly.

If we look the first combination  Avg...Discovery  the corresponding color is  DiscBlack, on the second it's  DiscGreen.

So we can set each color for each measure.

Be aware that if the data doesn't produce all the possible combinations  and a new one appear in the future, it will get a random color  and you will have to set change it manually.

Michel

• 22. Re: Cross-table several variables
                      Matt Lutton

Thanks, this is what I suspected (I think). Still quite a lot of manual work to get the desired result (Manually setting the colors in the legend to match what we want, correct?). I was hoping you'd found a way to generate those colors automatically based on the results As it was not clear in the original example whether you had manually set those colors up or if Tableau generated them for you)

Reshaping the data is certainly ideal for working with this type of Survey data, whenever possible, but I am glad to know this is at least possible for those users who cannot reshape (although I don't know of any scenario where reshaping would be impossible--it's just a learning curve to get there)

Thanks again for posting this. I'm on my cell so it's possible I misunderstood your latest reply but I'll take a look later to be certain I understand what you've done.

Cheers to all, and happy to have been shown something new today!

• 23. Re: Cross-table several variables
                        Michel Caissie

Yes , for sure this solution is good with few measures to color and ideally only 2 colors per measure.

With 8 measures and 3 colors , it can generates  3exp8  possible combinations.

In this case, if  reshaping is not an option, it would probably be better to go with one axis on the row shelf per measure. Each axis will have it's own color shelf.

Michel

1 2 Previous Next